Wet lagging help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please! I noticed a damp patch in my kitchen where my downpipe from the upstairs toilet is boxed in. Appeared the leak was coming from above. Now ripped off loads of tiles in toilet and can see that the leak is from a pipe that comes from the shower and where it joins the big downpipe, thats where the leak is. I have pushed the pipe in more and this seems to have stopped the leak.
The lagging however is wet, don't know how long it's been leaking, but the lagging is wet near the drip and this goes all the way down to the kitchen and drips of water is coming from the bottom lagging. I know it would be best to replace all the lagging, but by doing so I would have to remove/ replace the neat boxed in corner in the kitchen. So any ideas? Do you think a hair drier / electric heater would dry it out?? I would say it's about 10 foot of lagging that would need replacing / drying out.
I would appreciate any help or advice, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you can wait, Danny, the lagging will dry of its own accord - if you've stopped the leak completely!
Just allow as much air as possible to circulate around the lagging and all will be ok eventually. Only my opinion, mind!
I'm a bit perplexed though - why would a downcomer be lagged? Are there rising water pipes in there?
John :)

Thanks for the reply, if it does dry out on its own accord that will save me time, money and more mess!
Well the pipe is a big black one, approximate 7" wide, has lagging around it, cant see any other pipes. The house is 6 year old so I just assumed it was a standard thing??
What i can't understand is how the leak started in the first place?? Very odd.

Agree on letting it air out naturally.

Sounds like a pushfit rubber adapter - such things occasionally work loose.

Might be lagged for sound insulation - flushing a loo when the stack is internal can create a fair sloshing noise as the Richards go past.

Sponsored Links
The pipe has got some rubber at the joint to the big pipe.
Would you recommend doing anything to the joint, to make sure it does not happen again??

Maybe the push fit pipe through the rubber was never properly connected in the first place......there's nothing to stop you applying a good smear of silicone around the joint though - as well as maybe providing a secondary seal, it is also a very good adhesive.
I'd still like to keep the area open for a while to see how things go.
John :)

John, thanks for that.
I am going to leave it for a week or so, just to make sure the leak had defo gone and for the lagging to dry out, hopefully.
Regarding the silicone, do you have any in mind or would any bathroom sealant work??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back