Wet Room Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.

Doing the pre-build research into creating a wetroom in the existing bathroom at home, and I want to pick the collective brains about thermostatic showers and combi boilers.

Current boiler is a 21 year old Worcester 24CDi which is pretty much at the end of its useful life, and prone to over heating and tripping out.

To this end I am getting quotes for a new boiler, and would like some feedback on sizing. Last chap reckoned to go for a WB Greenstar 37 to deal with the shower (wife wants one of those fancy dustbin lid sized shower heads)

(WB are the ones being pushed - must be a deal on?) I don't really have an issue with WB, as they appear to be OK, unless you guys know better?

I want to push the boat out a bit with the wetroom shower and I am looking at Grohe concealed mixers (35500 rapido T) with the big shower fixed over head and a smaller unit on a rail for washing feet, butt etc.

I don't know what the exact supply pressure is here, but we have good cold water pressure at least 2 bar maybe more, so a decent boiler should give a good supply to the shower.

So to the questions.

Is 37kW OTT? about right, bit small?
I believe Grohe are good quality, (expensive enough) any pitfalls or better suggestions?

Shower head spec' says 11litres/sec for each bar of supply pressure - I assume that's mixed hot & cold, so if I can get 15-20 litres second out of the boiler at about 45°C I should be OK to get a decent flow?
If it proves too big I can downsize he shower head - they aren't too costly.

Lastly - does anyone know how to determine which trim plates for the mixer include the diverter, buying both together is about £350, but some online dealers are offering the mixer for about £160, and the trim plates for £40 - 50, but I can t figure out which ones work with the mixer.

Sponsored Links
I want to push the boat out a bit with the wetroom shower and I am looking at Grohe concealed mixers (35500 rapido T)

Lastly - does anyone know how to determine which trim plates for the mixer include the diverter, buying both together is about £350

The Rapido T valve is very well engineered and way better than a lot of the shiny 'designer' s**t that you can buy. Google RB Supplies and it should be fairly obvious what plates go with the valve. I found them helpful.

Read the hundred other threads on this forum about which combi is best. You'll find almost nobody recommending Worcester, there's big support for Intergas, Vaillant, and Veissmann. Personally I'd have an Intergas.

You might find that a combi can't keep up with the large shower head and you don't get the performance you're expecting, if you want something with a large water throughput, EG a big shower head, you'll need a hot water cylinder. Expect 12-15 litres per minute flow rate out of a combi.

If you have a combi, you need to be careful that you don't oversize it for your house's heating requirement. If you do, it'll cycle a lot and cost more to run

Sponsored Links
I want to push the boat out a bit with the wetroom shower and I am looking at Grohe concealed mixers (35500 rapido T)

Lastly - does anyone know how to determine which trim plates for the mixer include the diverter, buying both together is about £350

The Rapido T valve is very well engineered and way better than a lot of the shiny 'designer' s**t that you can buy. Google RB Supplies and it should be fairly obvious what plates go with the valve. I found them helpful.

Thanks - good site, found most of what I am looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back