Wet skirting... again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In around April/May last year I gutted out an outbuilding, it was quite damp at the time, I used it as a shed. Needed storage for my things as I needed to move in with family, also for my cat to live in there. I quickly replaced any skirting that was rotten etc. Just made it barely habitable.

Hadn't really finished the job - as you can see from the photos - but planned to tie up loose ends this weekend.

Moved the furniture out of the way & noticed the skirting was discoloured. Pulled the carpet back to find the bottoms of the NEW! skirting is moist... Only a small area, but hey, it's still there.

Not sure why or what it could be. Have taken a photo of the outer corner too. I think the floor lies at ground level, not where the render ends... ??

2mcvolw.jpg

35k8twi.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like a single skin block wall? Not really suitable for anything other than storage if it is.....
I think Id lose the skirting idea, and make good the exterior render and see how it goes.
John :)

It looks like a single skin block wall? Not really suitable for anything other than storage if it is.....
I think Id lose the skirting idea, and make good the exterior render and see how it goes.

Block, but it's been battened, insulated & plastered, with a dpm.
What do you mean make good the render? The render isn't cracked anywhere...

Sponsored Links
Also, you don't mitre internal angles ;)

Also? Did you answer my first question? As it's not showing if you did. If you didn't, you don't need the also. ;)

That's my English tip, your tip in return... how would one approach internal angles then? Apologies, I am a novice (& a girl) hence the asking on an Internet forum!

Just looking at the external pic....it looks like water could be coming down the wall but instead of being cast clear by the projection (not sure what thats made of) it could be creeping back in - sort of doubling back on itself, if you will.
I'd certainly leave any floor covering off for the duration.

Just looking at the external pic....it looks like water could be coming down the wall but instead of being cast clear by the projection (not sure what thats made of) it could be creeping back in - sort of doubling back on itself, if you will.
I'd certainly leave any floor covering off for the duration.

Ah ok. Thanks.
I'm going to have a dig around today & see if I can shed any more light on the situation. Will update with any clues I find! :)

What is the exact wall construction? If there is a dpm how is that fixed to the wall. Apologies for my non queens english you pedantic knob.

Indeed, if it just a single block construction as is quite likely for an outbuilding then you're on a loser I am afraid.

Looks like a timber baton has been use to bottom of render and not removed which will hold rain against the wall, should have a metal bead there to cast off the rain.

What is the exact wall construction? If there is a dpm how is that fixed to the wall. Apologies for my non queens english you pedantic knob.

Sorry have we spoke? Why are you being a douchebag?

I don't know the *exact* wall construction as I didn't build the bloody thing!

Forget it. This place is full of grumpy old gits permanently in a mood. Last time I checked this was an advice forum??? :mad:

As a longshot you could wait until it dries out (probably by summer now) and paint the area with some liquid dpm. This might hold the damp at bay.

Sorry have we spoke? Why are you being a douchebag?

I don't know the *exact* wall construction as I didn't build the bloody thing!

Forget it. This place is full of grumpy old gits permanently in a mood. Last time I checked this was an advice forum??? :mad:

You can tell by the depth of the door or window opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back