Wet timbers in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping somebody with some roofing knowledge can advise me on a problem I have discovered in my loft.

Basically I was up there this evening looking for some wood I had left up there for storage and realised that this wood was mouldy and showed signs that water had been dripping on it. I then noticed that the horizontal timbers on the north facing slope of the roof were soaking with what looks like white mould patches and drips of water forming on the tips of the nails holding the slates on. The south facing slope of the roof however was dry to the touch with little sign of mould (there was some, more green than white) and none of the drips either.

Ill try and put down as much info here as I can about the situation;

Somewhat uncharacteristically for Aberdeen it hasn't rained for several days.
It is a terraced house built more than 50 years ago, exact time seems to to be a little difficult to determine. I may ask my neighbours if I can have a look at their loft for comparison.
There was treatment for woodworm by the previous owners in the loft.
I have recently topped up the loft insulaton though I was careful not to push it into the eaves.
I can see no evidence of soffit vents or any other vents.
There is a single glazed window in the loft which I checked when I was up there and it seemed to have little in the way of condensation on it (south facing aspect).
It feels pretty cold up there, I could see my breath tonight.

All I can come up with is that with the low winter sun coming mainly from the south is having a drying effect on the timber on the south aspect whereas the north is recieveing very little heat. Perhaps I could do with more ventilation up in the loft to help with drying the north side?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a condensation problem to me.

Lack of roof space ventilation coupled with a lot of lifestyle issues within the home, i.e. drying clothes on radiators, lack of venting when cooking, bathing, lack of V.B. at ceiling level, breathing etc :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back