What’s in your alarm installer toolbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After another highly insightful exchange with
@secureiam
@sparkymarka
and one specific comment about something to carry as part of your standard toolbox I thought I’d as the group, what’s your standard list of items you’d carry as an alarm installer?
It would be great to see a crowdsourced list of ideas from you all.

Sponsored Links
ACT battery tester
Good quality Multimeter
VDE 1000v insulated hand tools
Torch
Selection if various glass fuses,Act 1313 filters.
These are the bare minimum requirements ,you build your tool box over the years with other items you require

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Act 1313 filters.
Interesting! I didn't know about these and had never put them in. Luckily on all my installs so far (which isn't many but have been running for years) I've only had the rare false alarm which I couldn't never track down. But at a rate of 1 untraced false alarm over years of an installation, it's not bad. But this looks a very sensible device it install.
@Handymanjo keen to know more from your perspective how/why you use it, maybe what I am saying ^^^ isn't correct way to think about it.

Fitted a fair few 1313 filters on takeovers ( you never know how the cables have been run ) …..in the same hole as the mains….

Induced ac voltage on dc line can cause various issues with data bus on alarm systems.
Act products are a great help in reducing these issues. As sparky said,you don't know how the cables have been run on some systems.Not just induced voltage,but radio interference as well.
Back in the day you could speak to David at Act and he would recommend products to solve problems. The knowledge of siting equipment is key to a good installation, not just chuck it in and walk away with the money.

Induced ac voltage on dc line can cause various issues with data bus on alarm systems.
Act products are a great help in reducing these issues. As sparky said,you don't know how the cables have been run on some systems.Not just induced voltage,but radio interference as well.
Back in the day you could speak to David at Act and he would recommend products to solve problems. The knowledge of siting equipment is key to a good installation, not just chuck it in and walk away with the money.
Many thanks @Handymanjo and @sparkymarka
Although in my case I [clearly] don't do this full time as my main job. I volunteer and help out in certain situations so not walking away with any cash. Thanks for the advice which in turn helps getting security into situations where the client (for the lack of a better word) needs it but can't ordinarily access this type of security.

All, please do keep the suggestions coming on what should be in the tool box.

I like the wire coat hanger, I also have a magnet on the end of a stick for when I drop something metallic in a hard to reach area!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back