What’s this mysterious component in outlet of Freeflow Syphon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced an old Armitage shanks Freeflow syphon on a close coupled loo, which included the pictured insert in the outlet pipe. I didn’t think much about it when I replaced the the Freeflow with a Skylo syphon. However, the toilet doesn’t now flush properly, the bowl filling high and emptying slowly; almost like it’s blocked - but nothing has changed, only the swapping of the syphon and removal of the mystery part. Any ideas before i dismantle it again?? Do Skylo syphons have a slow throughput compared to the Freeflow? And does this mystery part have any affect? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D269DCCE-8871-474A-AAA0-0EFB8FE2AFDB.jpeg
    D269DCCE-8871-474A-AAA0-0EFB8FE2AFDB.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 73
  • A6D79DEC-67FA-40FD-978C-49ABDE0A6539.jpeg
    A6D79DEC-67FA-40FD-978C-49ABDE0A6539.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
That is what is known as a bomb. You have one of the best toilet pans ever made. If it was working then put it back.

That is what is known as a bomb. You have one of the best toilet pans ever made. If it was working then put it back.
1st I’ve heard of one. Could be limited flush volume?

Sponsored Links
That part needs replacing make sure the rubber washer washer seals the small hole in pan where it locates,
Double trap symphonic pans don't work without it.
I wondered if it were a double trap siphonic trap.

Brilliant, thanks guys, I’ll try reinstating it, one way or another.

In the end I made a replacement diaphragm for the old Armitage Shanks Freeflow syphon, and put it back in, complete with the ‘bomb’.. and it now works better than it has for years! After a little research, it seems the only other option, if the old syphon can’t be repaired, is a Dudley turbo 88 with a Syvac aspirator.. at a hefty £50. Thanks again to Just Pumps and Exedon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back