What’s your opinion on this BG boiler quote?

what makes you think they will use your scaffolding ? , not a chance in hell they will do that

Sponsored Links
At £600 I could afford to buy a tower, use it, scrap it afterwards and still be £400 in pocket!

Sponsored Links
At £600 I could afford to buy a tower, use it, scrap it afterwards and still be £400 in pocket!

And are you PASMA qualified? Will you ticket the platform and have insurance against any injuries or damage?

It’s £600 because it’s more than just the equipment buddy :sneaky:

Just for comparison I've had an Intergas Eco RF30 fitted 8 days ago by a local Gas safe fitter with a manufacturers 10 years parts and labour warranty and had 2 radiators with TRV's (800*600 and 1800*600) replaced. Was a basic boiler swap with chemical flush, flue through the wall, 22mm gas present and connected to an existing Nest V3 for £1900 no Vat payable.

I'd had a few quotes (none by BG) but another multi national quoted £3.5k without the radiators for the same boiler.

Our Bossch combi was fitted 7 years ago including relocating from kitchen to upstairs airing cupboard, removing old immersion heater and loft tanks etc and making good the wall where flue used to be.

Cost 2k and there was a team on it for 1 1/2 days iirc.

What's frost proof pipe???
Lot of problems this year where condensate pipes are freezing up and the boiler stops working maybe they have access to a better insulated pipe now.

..It’s £600 because it’s more than just the equipment buddy :sneaky:

Fair enough but out of interest, what do they actually need to do to the outside of the flue - they aren’t drilling any holes in the wall as that’s already done, they will be changing a boiler and flue that’s already there using the same hole that the existing flue went through and presumably just poking another one out through the same hole. Looking at a picture of the flue that comes with this boiler, it seems to me that they only need access to the outside to slip a finishing trim/collar over it.

What about when I have a service? According to BG they cover these things in a service.

What happens during the service?

• We’ll inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they’re working properly.
  • We'll check your boiler for corrosion and leaks.
  • We’ll take off the casing of your boiler to inspect the main components.
  • We’ll check the gas pressure.
  • We’ll test the flue to make sure it’s not emitting any unsafe fumes.
  • We’ll clean the parts (if tests indicate they need it).
  • We’ll pop the casing back on and check the seals.
  • We’ll leave you with a checklist of information about your boiler’s safety.
I've seen a video online of a flue gas check which involved a probe being inserted into the flue to analyse the emissions. Will that involve a scaffold tower at every service?

Thinking more about this, how do aerial installers work nowdays? What about alarm engineers? Satellite installers? From a layman’s point of view, there seems to be more ladder time involved in mounting and connecting up a satellite dish, aerial or a bell box and sounder than slipping a collar over a protruding pipe but I can’t say I’ve ever seen those tradesmen working off of scaffolding or a tower.

Just seems like a bit of H&S overkill going on!

£1900 no Vat payable.
You may not have paid VAT on the labour and the installer's mark-up on boiler and components; but you certainly paid VAT on the boiler etc. The installer (assuming he purchased the items) has to pay VAT, even if he is registered for VAT, and I doubt if he's willing to pay that out of his own pocket. He will pass it on to you in his "No VAT" invoice.

Fair enough but out of interest, what do they actually need to do to the outside of the flue - they aren’t drilling any holes in the wall as that’s already done, they will be changing a boiler and flue that’s already there using the same hole that the existing flue went through and presumably just poking another one out through the same hole. Looking at a picture of the flue that comes with this boiler, it seems to me that they only need access to the outside to slip a finishing trim/collar over it.

What about when I have a service? According to BG they cover these things in a service.

What happens during the service?

• We’ll inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they’re working properly.
  • We'll check your boiler for corrosion and leaks.
  • We’ll take off the casing of your boiler to inspect the main components.
  • We’ll check the gas pressure.
  • We’ll test the flue to make sure it’s not emitting any unsafe fumes.
  • We’ll clean the parts (if tests indicate they need it).
  • We’ll pop the casing back on and check the seals.
  • We’ll leave you with a checklist of information about your boiler’s safety.
I've seen a video online of a flue gas check which involved a probe being inserted into the flue to analyse the emissions. Will that involve a scaffold tower at every service?

Thinking more about this, how do aerial installers work nowdays? What about alarm engineers? Satellite installers? From a layman’s point of view, there seems to be more ladder time involved in mounting and connecting up a satellite dish, aerial or a bell box and sounder than slipping a collar over a protruding pipe but I can’t say I’ve ever seen those tradesmen working off of scaffolding or a tower.

Just seems like a bit of H&S overkill going on!

just a thought, but why don't you ask the sales guy for this info?

You may not have paid VAT on the labour and the installer's mark-up on boiler and components; but you certainly paid VAT on the boiler etc. The installer (assuming he purchased the items) has to pay VAT, even if he is registered for VAT, and I doubt if he's willing to pay that out of his own pocket. He will pass it on to you in his "No VAT" invoice.
I know how VAT works, maybe I could have wrote it better.

The contractor was not VAT registered, he quoted £1900 and that's how much I paid him.

just a thought, but why don't you ask the sales guy for this info?
I did. He just said 'to make good'. That’s sales talk for slipping a collar over a pipe isn’t it.

I’ll be getting some more quotes obviously. If the law is the law, they’ll all want a tower, won’t they? Maybe someone will send a real man round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back