1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s your opinion on this BG boiler quote?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Mottie, 17 Apr 2018.

1. Hot&Cold

Hot&Cold

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    sure they have given permission for the quote to be discussed here ?.

Even with your 99p shop permanent marker attempted alteration on the quote document has failed,all your details are easily seen.Maybe why no one has come forward to visit you and do boiler chop.

motman.jpeg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Didn’t know I needed their permission to discusss anything. You seem to be well up on BG issues so perhaps you can show me where it says I’m not allowed to discuss, question, seek advice or comments on any prices they give me?

Get back to work and stop trolling.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2018
  4. Hot&Cold

Hot&Cold

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just work the Uk winter months but have contacts to do your boiler chop for around £2k + vat,install a better quality boiler (also with better warranty conditions) and service your unknown unvented cylinder same time.

Or if you want your existing profile boiler reconditioned,To last at least another 10 years well that will be £750 inc vat.As long as its been fitted correctly from day 1 and currently safe.

recondition or replace,its your shout :mrgreen:

5. shambolic

shambolic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ideal boilers flues can be fitted from inside and pulled back to make proprietary seal on a flat wall.
    Even shows you in the book.
    BG however insist on sealing with cement Total overkill and £600 you could save right away.
    Get him to not fit seal and jump up a big ladder and do it yourself

6. petit_pablo

petit_pablo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The £600 is a fixed price for scaff, the sales guy cant specify how long or how much scaff is needed. The way the installs are priced is very rigid.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveHerns

DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wonder how you stand legally if you refuse to pay for a scaffold and your chosen self employed fitter falls off his ladder?
    Think the Working at Heights Regulations sets out the employer's responsibilities but long time since I read it.

8. Paulj48

Paulj48

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Since when does paying a tradesman for a job make you their employer? Or did you mean something else?

9. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, I’ve just had my local plumbing/heating firm round (been going for 60 years) and they were the ones that carried out my system conversion to unvented h/w and sealed system about 16 months ago. Very strange/quick 'survey'. Didn’t even want to go up in the loft to look at my existing boiler. Admittedly, the bloke that came knew the setup and even knew what boiler I had and where it was located as he was one of the installers on site last time. He recommended an 18Kw boiler (BG said 15Kw), Vaillant (why do people call them valiant?) or WB. Said they give 7 years guarantee on Vaillant and 10 years on WB. He said a power flush was not needed (they did one 15 months ago) but they’d just give it a mains flush out. When I asked about the condensate pipe, he said "We'll just fit a pump and run it into the soil stack or gutter". No mention of scaffolding or towers. And that was it! Said he’d work out a price and get it to me in writing later this week or early next week. He wasn’t here more than 5 minutes. Capable and working from experience with a good memory or just a bloody guesser?

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I surveyed a boiler yesterday. Would have been in the house 30 seconds if it wasn't for the need to converse with the customer.

If the guy knows the system why should the need to spend anymore time talking fluff with the client?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A guy who does the due diligence when preparing for a quote will always get the job (from me). A guy who quotes blind makes me nervous.

It's about customer confidence.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Called experience i could tell you what way joists go were rsj`s are how much pipe req to within a few feet for vast majority of houses in my town ,Were gas meter and soil stacks etc etc are without leaving the house .. due diligance doesnt mean they actually know what they are doing or how the house is actually constructed and what can go were and what cant . But would still visit to see what furniture is in way and have face to face contact

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with that and if it was any other firm that didn’t know my system, I’d be concerned. As said, he was familiar with my boiler and it’s location and he installed the system so I’ll see what he comes back with. Wife’s just come in, I told her and her reply was “A boiler's a boiler isn’t it - What’s there to look at?” “The BG bloke that came round wasn’t a plumber, he was a salesman” Now and then she comes out with a gem. :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hence the need to converse with the customer. But that is all a fluff and makes no bearing on the end result from an installation point of view.

In my casea.... Gas supply, flue terminus, condensate run all eye balled on the walk up the path. Boiler staying in its same location (garage).

Exisitng controls perfectly adequate. Existing boiler oversized.

2 or 3 questions to client asking if happy with current Hot water setup and control regime confirmed it was a straight forward swap.

Reassured client of this.

You can sling in terms like due diligence if you like. But you have no idea what we know and what we need to know in order to do the task at hand.

Like 112 said, and, we said so recently about heatloss calcs, most of us can do it with our eyes closed. It's all about experience.

Unless you're living in a mahooooosive house with 4 floors and basements and 25 control zones, our experience will get to within a kw or two on boiler sizing and the only real ball ache comes down to pipe runs.

16. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I did this work regularly, I could (after a round if 5/6 questions) nearly always give a price locally without even visiting. Which I did. The price was always "subject to survey", but this was, as 112 suggests, to check out the state of the house. It was very rare that I ever altered the quote upwards, unless they requested anything extra. And never downwards ;)

TBF, it may be a little different now with regard to higher consumption boilers and expensive gas run replacements

17. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And googlers! :cautious:

Sponsored Links