What a day! Combi 'fixed'!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent the last two days working on my Worcester 280 combi. The symptoms were hot/cold DHW and occasional tripping out. I replaced the secondary heat exchanger for a plate exchanger (a Worcester upgrade) and put a new expansion vessel in. I fired it up last night and CH was good but had problems with DHW. Within a minute of running the hot water the pressure rose rapidly and the boiler tripped out. I picked it up again today. The diverter valve had a slight seep so I decided to whip it out and check it over. The bottom retaining clip had rusted in so cut a long story short I ended up cutting it out! Picked up a new DV (£100!) and tried to fit it. Bottom retaining clip wouldn't fit . 5 hours later it turned out that the new DV had a faulty plastic centre joint ( a manufacturing fault i'm sure) so I swapped it for the old plastic joint and hey presto...fitted in seconds!!All back together and crossed fingers, working OK! I see why the 'heating engineer' said to replace the combi now but I rarely let anything beat me!!!

Sponsored Links
A medal would be nice but I'm happy with the satisfaction that I doubt that any heating engineer would have gone to this length to save an otherwise good work working boiler... :D

Sponsored Links
Well, the corgi (gas safe?) guy I called out didn't want to fix it. I dont like to waste peoples time so I fixed it myself...

Here's my 2p worth on heating "engineers"

They shouldn't be allowed to carry the title "engineer" unless they are suitably qualified. The majority are not. In the UK the engineering council is the regulatory body for engineers... oooh and guess what they don't recognize Corgi/Gas safe etc as engineers and not even technicians!

I have seen some absolute howlers in my time and it makes me feel sick that the government has done little to recognize the difference between an engineer in the true sense and someone who changes parts willy nilly until they fix something.

CE

Well, the corgi (gas safe?) guy I called out didn't want to fix it. I dont like to waste peoples time so I fixed it myself...

Is this yet another case where you called him, allowed him to diagnose the fault and then you fixed it yourself without paying him for spending his time to do the diagnosis?

Here's my 2p worth on heating "engineers"

They shouldn't be allowed to carry the title "engineer" unless they are suitably qualified. The majority are not. In the UK the engineering council is the regulatory body for engineers... oooh and guess what they don't recognize Corgi/Gas safe etc as engineers and not even technicians!

I have seen some absolute howlers in my time and it makes me feel sick that the government has done little to recognize the difference between an engineer in the true sense and someone who changes parts willy nilly until they fix something.

CE

here's my 6 penn'orth (old money)

because i'm just a stupid tw*t i decided to Google 'Engineer' for you. it wasn't difficult. it says the word is derived from Latin from the root 'ingenium', meaning 'cleverness'.
it follows that 'cleverness' can't be quantified so you can be good, bad or indifferent and still call yourself an engineer.
the 'engineer in the true sense' you speak of has no literal or valid meaning, so it kind of leaves you undefined, same as everyone else.
'engineer' has never been a 'title' in this country, it's a description of someone who repairs broken things.
i'm not sure why you submitted your post, but on a scale of 1-10, where do you see yourself?

because i'm just a stupid tw*t i decided to Google 'Engineer' for you. it wasn't difficult. it says the word is derived from Latin from the root 'ingenium', meaning 'cleverness'.

That must be why British Gas call their people technicians then !

I would have thought that logic would indicate that an engineer is someone who does engineering?

And when an engineer is digging his garden then he is no longer an engineer but becomes a gardener !

If he does neither, then he joins all the unemployed!

when is an engineer not an engineer?

Quote from Wikipedia

the work of an engineer is the link between the perceived needs of society and commercial applications.

so we're all safe!

Is this yet another case where you called him, allowed him to diagnose the fault and then you fixed it yourself without paying him for spending his time to do the diagnosis?

:LOL: Sorry old boy, you couldn't be further from the truth. He spent all of 2 mins looking at the boiler, diagnosed a faulty gas valve and a quote of £300 to change. He also said it would be better to change the combi than repair it...

well you have fixed it, spent a lot of money on parts, and oh yeah TWO days labour that adds about £600-00 to the bill ...you do the maths :LOL:

I appear to have rattled a cage.

I don't think you understand where I was going. I think you should be suitably qualified to use the title, there is quite a good page on regulation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer

When the EU gets their way, then the title of Engineer will become protected as it is in most other European Countries, Canada, USA, OZ, NZ, India, S. Africa etc. That will sort the "plumbers" out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back