What adhesive for floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not tiled a floor before. I've read the FAQ, which recommends a BAL flexible adhesive.

I'm unsure which one. Can someone advise?

Tiling WC to match bathroom. Area is 950x 1820mm, using 300x600mm porcelain tiles.
Luckily it's only 9 tiles and minimal cuts.

Floor boards have been screwed down tight. 15mm wbp has been screwed on top at 200mm spacing. Skirting boards removed, new ones will be fitted after.

The joist span is 4.5m (there's a brick wall seperating the wc and bathroom), however, there's now a steel beam supporting the wall, so the span is supported at 1.5 m. So hoping very little deflection and movement in the floor.

Floor is uneven - a 10mm drop over the 950mm width. Aiming to level it with the adhesive.

Choices:

There's an own brand flexible single part adhesive, from a known tile shop, for £20. Apparenly its good for ply, ufh and porcelain.

There's BAL flexible single part for £30, which is "suitable for installations suitable to minimal vibration, shrinkage, deflection of heated screeds"

There's a BAL flexible adhesive, elastomeric for £54 suitable for areas with "movement and vibration"

And more BAL flexfibre polymer options for £20 to £30, all suitable for vibration and movement etc.

I have no idea what to use. I don't want to waste money if the cheap own brand one will do it, although, for the sake of an extra £30 - I dont want to have to re do the floor in a year if it does balls up.

Thanks in advance for advise!

Sponsored Links
I ended up getting the BAL flexfibre polymer, primer and flexible grout.
The chap in the tile place agreed if was better than the own brand, which also required ( reading the tech sheet) matting and priming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back