What am I doing wrong? Glossing dark doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been painting some dark stained panelled wood doors white. They were finished very smoothly, maybe french polished.

Here was my method: Thorough sand in circular motion and wipe down with a damp cloth.

Apply one coat of B&Q "primer and undercoat".

Apply several coats of B&Q pure brilliant white gloss.

I have had to use about 4 coats of gloss on these doors before the finish is acceptable. And even now in bright light, the doors are streaky.

It strikes me that the main issue with painting is brush strokes. If there were no brush strokes, the colour underneath wouldnt be visible. Would rollering be better? Using a fine foam roller? What I'd like is some kind of spray paint, whereby I could take the remaining doors outside and spray them, thus removing all kinds of friction application! The finish would be much easier for an amateur!

I have 8 more door sides to do (I've done 4) on identical doors to these, but cant face the monotomy of all this 8 more times!

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve,no disrespect but your brand of paint is crap to start with.What is probably best is after good prep,coat of Zinseer BIN primer ,a good trade (Dulux) undercoat x2 if needed then a good quality gloss again Dulux trade.They will always been more prone to chipping etc. due to previous treatments,but the above i think is best bet.Am sure pro deccys will advise if better results can be achieved.
p.s. foam rollers are good,just remember to layoff very lightly with a brush to eliminate airbubbles.

Oddly enough if you thin the paint a touch it won't leave brushmarks that you can see through. You need the right technique too though.

I thought someone would criticise my brand of paint :LOL:

Granted, I wont be using B&Q's own brand again.

Where can I buy zinseer?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the paint.

When you price up Zinnser you might change your mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back