What am I likely to find behind this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1927 brick and block construction with cavity.

The photos show an upstairs window in one of the bedrooms. I'm thinking of removing the wooden surround (which as far as I know is original) for the following reasons: It's drafty around the edges, it's a pain to maintain. I also have a problem with a loose brick soldier course (non-structural) above this window which I think may be easier to resolve without this surround in place (the soffit restricts access from the outside.)

Anyone seen similar and can tell me what's likely to be behind it and what problems I should look out for?

My biggest concern is not knowing what's supporting the block work above the window. What would they have used back then? I'm assuming not just this wooden frame, though the roof load is carried by a beam sitting on top of the blocks, so the surround could feasibly could be supporting the blocks above the window??? I can see no sign of a lintel outside (hence why the soldier course is loose.)

I'm assuming that behind the wood will be bare blockwork, exposed cavity (so the polystyrene ball insulation may fall out)

Could the loose soldier course, or even worse the blockwork come crashing down?

...any info from someone with experience very much appreciated!

As a follow-up how would I go about making good the opening after removing the woodwork, with insulation being a key priority? I'm thinking foam fill the cavities, dab on insulated plasterboard (or celotex) ?

Sponsored Links
Anyone that's been in the building trade or a number of years will tell you that you can never be certain what you will find under the plaster.
It's quite possible that the blockwork will be returned at the inner reveal, so the cavity won't be open.
There should be a lintel on the inner skin, but you probably will lose the soldier course and need to rebuild it

I did a quick test drilling up through the horizontal wood at the top, but no sign of any lintel, which has me a little worried!

Sponsored Links
What I drilled into behind the wood wasn't a timber lintel. Seemed more like plaster or mortar. Maybe I'll try a longer drill...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back