what amp to use on fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a old house and build extension. I got old fuse box. I need to change it also add new lighting etc to the new extensions inc. new loft. Can somone tell what amp fuses to use for shower/lighting/cooker etc. if you can send me a link or refer to a page of 17th edition regualtion document then it will be more helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You do not have the competance to carry out this work due to having to ask such basic questions. Think of you and your family's safety.

You'll probably find that your LABC wants certificates before they will sign off the extension - if the work involves adding new circuits, work on existing circuits in kitchens or certain areas of bathrooms then the work will either need to be done by a competent electrician ( http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ ) or by prior notification to your LABC prior to starting work.

Well, what's this forum for if you fo not reply. I am making sure, I know some stuff, I will have a NICEIC engineer out before I get it passed .

Sponsored Links
so whaty is this forum for ? is for expert people? or what time type of questions to be answered here?

it depends on the cooker/shower wattage or kW, what size cable your using and how the cable is run (clipped or in insulation)

it depends on the cooker/shower wattage or kW, what size cable your using and how the cable is run (clipped or in insulation)

Many thanks for your reply. At lest someone is there to reply positively. I will be using power shower of about 10KW. Also, How many RCD and MCD can be required? is for the light s 16amp, plug 32 amp? folld loights 32 am? how many lights I can put on 16 amp? many thanks

how many lights I can put on 16 amp? many thanks

Lighting would normally be designed to use a maximum of 6 amp rated Mcb's if there is excessive lighting then more 6 amp rated circuits are preferable.

Sorry but I have to agree with the other replies.
This is not a job for a diy'er.
Especially one who is not fluent in English as there are lots of regs to follow and forms to fill in.
If you intend to try and employ the services of an electrician to test then it's best to get them involved with the planning if they are willing since they will be held responsible.
As for the purpose of this forum, it's to help with minor diy problems such as changing light switches, not the design and installation of an entire or partial rewire.

Hw many maximum lights i can put on 6 amp ?
I am sorry but if you do not know that 6 amps at 230 volts is 1380 watts then there is no possibility of you designing a safe electrical installation. You may happen to install components and cables that appear to work but will they be safe.

W = I * V ( watts = amps times volts ) is one of the most simple formulas used in planning a safe electrical installation. The others more critical to safety are much more complex.

Employ an electrician and keep yourself, your family and your house safe.

Thanks for the message. I have no problem with English Sir, Sorry there were too many typos as I was proof reading it and accidently pressed the sent button.

I am sure someone reply. Id you or someone else does not want then no problem. Unfortunately, I many people think negatively, I mentioned here that I will do all the wiring then show the qualified electrician then I will get the certificate!!! I think nothing wrong doing that and the diy forum is here to save money not for criticising!! I beleive everything is possibile when done systematically. I will do the reaserch which I am doing now, do the work then show the electrician, then do any corrections and then get the critificate. I hope you do not have any problem with that and if you do then I cannot help.

Hw many maximum lights i can put on 6 amp ?
I am sorry but if you do not know that 6 amps at 230 volts is 1380 watts then there is no possibility of you designing a safe electrical installation. You may happen to install components and cables that appear to work but will they be safe.

W = I * V ( watts = amps times volts ) is one of the most simple formulas used in planning a safe electrical installation. The others more critical to safety are much more complex.

Employ an electrician and keep yourself, your family and your house safe.

Thanks very much, so buy using this formula I have to calculate the power of the fuse/triper. What about Ohm's law? Thanks for putting in the right direction, I am here to get more and more info before I get started. I will only start once I am fully confident.

5/6amp lighting

30/32 for radial/ring

Cooker depends on so many variations

Shower generally 40 to 45amp

Too many variations to say if this is correct or not though!

By the way how long is a piece of string? Do you get the idea?

Ib (Design current) should be lower then In (protective device) - design current Must not exceed current setting for Fuse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back