What are referendums for?

I

imamartian

We can't have had one for years.... but what is their purpose these days?
Is it the case that governing bodies simply choose to decide what they do themselves (providing they can get it past the Sunday tabloids)?

My problem with democracy is, what if the voting paper says....

1. Policies you don't agree with
2. Policies you really dont agree with
3. Bloke with a banana for a hat
4. Party in favour of eating children

Choose one or get chopped up with a machete (as long as it's 'b')!

Sponsored Links
Is there really a party in favour of eating children?

They'd get my vote :LOL:

MW

Governments don't like referendums because often it would mean a result that the incumbants don't like!

It is also the case that with a simple majority deciding, it reminds people of the skewed values of the 'first past the post' system in a general election!

Sponsored Links
They are for important stuff like asking us if we want be be part of Europe.

I want our country to be fully integrated in europe, including the currency, taxes etc...

Well, several reasons.

1. Businesses trading between us and other EU members would have a more level playing field.

2. Taxes can be standardised (cheaper fuel? ;) )

3. We may be able to attract companies into the UK to aid the unemplyment situation currently being caused by job losses in the home-building sector & elsewhere.

Well, several reasons.

1. Businesses trading between us and other EU members would have a more level playing field.

2. Taxes can be standardised (cheaper fuel? ;) )

3. We may be able to attract companies into the UK to aid the unemplyment situation currently being caused by job losses in the home-building sector & elsewhere.

Yeah but you're average person couldn't care less about any of those!!!
You're average person wants less taxes, less crime, and cheaper food and cheaper petrol....

That's where number 2 comes in.

Wonder when joe will twig he's off my ignore list? ;)

"Taxes can be standardised " is a bit like saying... cancer can be monitored !! sounds good but is useless to your average person.

And please dont seek that idiot j... etc on one of my posts.. his 15 minutes of fame was over many many posts ago... please don't supplement him!

Taxes standardised ?
We pay a £4 billion membership fee to the eu rising to almost £7 billion next year. I think the figures are totalling £40 billion paid to the sharks by 2012.
Thats enough to build about 200 new NHS hospitals for our people to go to when they are sick and ill.
By all means lets get fully integrated with europe. But what then ?.
£50 billion per year ?. Lets not fund a very sick and ill organisation.
Lets stay independant. Love Europe but hate the eu.

But mainland unemployment is way higher than the UK.

Sharing all our resources with the poor nations of Europe will make us even poorer.

Sounds like a complete disaster to me.

Sponsored Links
Back