What are the going rates for trades now in london?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the market to buy a property similar in size and location to the one below: see link below in comment

The property I am buying is a probate house however and will need significant modernising.

Our plan is to strip back to the brick, remove chimneys, new heating/plumbing, new electrics, new double glazing + bifold doors and roof replacement (non structural).

Do any tradesman have rough ideas of what we would be looking at for:

1. New walls/ceilings- will need current plaster stripped back as well
  2. Removal of 4 chimneys with 3 attached stacks.
  3. New bathrooms and kitchen ( we will provide units and materials)
  4. Remove one 4m wall and add in RSJ
  5. New electrics
  6. New plumbing and heating system (combi boiler with build in tank)
  7. New double glazing and bifold doors in open plan kitchen area (where current door is in dining room)
  8. New roof tiles (significant damage and mismatched tiles from years of small repairs)
  9. Repointing front and back of house (significant missing mortar along multiple areas of the property)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks a pretty solid house, was the survey bad?

Reduce costs by:

1. Board instead of re plaster
2. Keep stacks, unless in really poor condition, damp can usually be treated. Chimneys add to the character of a property like this
3. Piece of string, but fitting will be a small part of the overall cost.
4. 2/3 grand
5. 7k with new CU, depends on spec
6. Likewise
7. 10-15k
8. Keep existing tiles and replace/repair as necessary, otherwise 25-36k including felting and battening
9. Piece of string.

These are my instinctive responses and to start the ball rolling. The pro's on here can't be specific because they know from experience there are many variables, including local supply and demand for builders locally which affects the market.

Blup

It looks a pretty solid house, was the survey bad?

Reduce costs by:

1. Board instead of re plaster
2. Keep stacks, unless in really poor condition, damp can usually be treated. Chimneys add to the character of a property like this
3. Piece of string, but fitting will be a small part of the overall cost.
4. 2/3 grand
5. 7k with new CU, depends on spec
6. Likewise
7. 10-15k
8. Keep existing tiles and replace/repair as necessary, otherwise 25-36k including felting and battening
9. Piece of string.

These are my instinctive responses and to start the ball rolling. The pro's on here can't be specific because they know from experience there are many variables, including local supply and demand for builders locally which affects the market.

Blup
I have updated the link with the actual property. In quite bad condition including the chimneys which take up significant room and have issues with pointing/leaning

have you had a full survey ???

with the foliage, and mentioned roof damage - then you may also need work on the main roof, soffit/facia/guttering as well as the small roof.

damage to ceiling on first floor , hallway , caused by that porch type roof , bedroom 2

i think that may need stripping and any rotten timbers sorting out and then refitting - which i dont think you mentioned in your list

Sponsored Links
Yes full survey has been done which where a lot of this list has come from. All the guttering and pipework also needs to be changed as well as plenty of holes. Previous leaks were apparently fixed and leaks were old (or so I am told)

In London you'll be looking at £150k if not more.

***correction***

Just seen the size of the house.
£250k for that work.

In London you'll be looking at £150k if not more.

***correction***

Just seen the size of the house.
£250k for that work.
Thanks. That is well above our budget. Would you be able to help me understand what parts are adding up to this so I can better understand where we can cut back.

That price is scary as it doesnt even include the kitchen or bathroom. We were looking at something closer to 150K all in

Thanks. That is well above our budget. Would you be able to help me understand what parts are adding up to this so I can better understand where we can cut back.

That price is scary as it doesnt even include the kitchen or bathroom. We were looking at something closer to 150K all in
Split the projects and do what you can today and the rest as you have more money.
Old plaster can be covered with thick wallpaper.
A functional bathroom can be cheaply freshened up with cheap tiles attached to existing or upvc panels of a good colour.
Electric and plumbing: unless nothing works, you could postpone this for when you replaster.
In other words, don't do the lot in one go.

We were planning on stripping the property back to the brick and starting over!

stripping the property back to the brick and starting over!
If you do that, all of the walls will have to comply with current thermal insulation standards, which will require significant amounts of internal insulation being added before any plasterboard or other finishes.

Electrical for a property that size allow an absolute minimum of £10k. For a decent specification, £20k or more is entirely likely.

Last edited:
If you do that, all of the walls will have to comply with current thermal insulation standards, which will require significant amounts of internal insulation being added before any plasterboard or other finishes.

Electrical for a property that size allow an absolute minimum of £10k. For a decent specification, £20k or more is entirely likely.
Would we be better of forgoing pointing and fit EWI with brick slips on top to maintain the design?

Sponsored Links
Back