What are these cables coming through my wall? And what cables do i need?

Sponsored Links
Rather than create a new thread for this i'll just ask here:

Got Sky installed today. I want to do the same thing with Sky that i've done with the TV aerial cable so i'm just looking for an extension basically.

The connectors on the ends of the Sky cabling are F connectors, so i believe i just need F-F cable that is suitable for satellite/Sky.

So jumping back on Satcure, is it the cabling i've arrowed up...

SAT EXTENSION.jpg

I'm fairly sure it is that but i want to be 100% sure before i send payment & then wish i'd have asked.

If it is that stuff then would you opt for the twist-on or compression connector & why would you choose said one?

Sponsored Links
Is it the type and colour that you want?
If it is, then, yes.
I see that it's twin cable. Do you need twin? Do you prefer it to two singles? Did you choose WF100 for minimum signal loss, instead of WF65, which is thinner and more flexible?

Is it the type and colour that you want?
If it is, then, yes.
I see that it's twin cable. Do you need twin? Do you prefer it to two singles? Did you choose WF100 for minimum signal loss, instead of WF65, which is thinner and more flexible?
I'm not overly fussed about the colour. That'd be my wifes area :D I just wanted to know if i'd selected the right type of cable that would act as a Sky cable extension.

If i've understood right then that WF100 will also do Sky cabling as well & is the best for the job really, so that's why i selected it.

The cable that comes from under the floor is just whatever Sky supplied. I want it to stop at the floor & have a small 0.5mtr cable that runs from Sky box to connect to the end that comes out of the floor so that there isn't just one big cable pulling up beyond the carpet etc.

WF65 "shotgun" cable will be fine for such a short length and is more flexible.

(Goodnight.)

If it is that stuff then would you opt for the twist-on or compression connector & why would you choose said one?

Compression every time. They have better matching (less return loss) and are more reliable. They don't tend to unscrew off the cable as you fit it to your sky box either. Cable companies use them because they are the best. Sky installers use twist on types because they are not engineers.

Compression every time. They have better matching (less return loss) and are more reliable.
We are going to have to disagree on this, unless you can direct me to your peer-reviewed test results. (I have never found any test measurements comparing the two types.)

They don't tend to unscrew off the cable as you fit it to your sky box either.
Correctly chosen and correctly fitted twist-on types will never unscrew without considerable force being necessary.

Cable companies use them because they are the best. Sky installers use twist on types because they are not engineers.
I grant you they are not "engineers" but the reasons that Sky issue twist-on connectors are that:
1. They work adequately and reliably.
2. They are cheap.
3. They need no special tools.

Compression every time. They have better matching (less return loss) and are more reliable.
We are going to have to disagree on this, unless you can direct me to your peer-reviewed test results. (I have never found any test measurements comparing the two types.)

They don't tend to unscrew off the cable as you fit it to your sky box either.
Correctly chosen and correctly fitted twist-on types will never unscrew without considerable force being necessary.

Cable companies use them because they are the best. Sky installers use twist on types because they are not engineers.
I grant you they are not "engineers" but the reasons that Sky issue twist-on connectors are that:
1. They work adequately and reliably.
2. They are cheap.
3. They need no special tools.

Who is "we?" Just ask any RF professional.

Many twist on types are not correctly chosen as they are fitted by amateurs (and I include sky installers in that).

1. They don't always work adequately or reliably.
2. Being cheap does not make them good.
3. We know this.

The OP asked which to use and why and I told him. You may have different thoughts. Are you a sparks or RF professional? Sparks generally know little about higher than 50 Hz, 60Hz in some areas.

Who is "we?" Just ask any RF professional.

My answer is that good quality twist on F types are more than adequate for situations where there is minimum movement or vibration across the connections. That is the case for 99% of domestic installations.

Admitted my professional experience in RF equipment was gained 1972 to 1984 when other types of connectors were being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back