What are these holes in my garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can please shed some light on what these holes are for in my wall at the back of my garage?

The wall is a retaining wall for a raised bit of the garden (there is concrete above it so I'm not exactly sure at what point the concrete ends and the earth begins.

I've posted pics of whats above the wall, all rubble is temporary as I've dug out a load of it that was left down the side which is another story.

I thought the holes could be weepholes, but they look pretty large and draining water into a garage seems like a bad idea? They look to be a brick and a half deep and then I can see what I think is rock/concrete. I'd like to make the garage into a gym or something but wanted to find out what these holes were before filling or attaching anything.

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
They will be weep holes because if water builds up behind a retaining wall, it increases the lateral pressure on the wall considerably.
As for them discharging into the garage, probably originally seen as the lesser of two evils...?

Thanks Tony, I'll leave them well alone it that case. If its the lesser of two evils I guess any other ways of rerouting the discharge would mean a lot of digging or running a pipe from the weephole?

Cheers

Bill

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back