What are these on my chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a log burner in an old fireplace situated in our Kitchen, the flue was cleaned and checked as OK by our sweep & the guys installing the chimney pot. When we use the log burner its fine for 90% of the time, however now and again we get a few wisps of smoke coming out of the bathroom fireplace, the smoke seems to eminate from the lower hearth section. The kitchen and bathroom fireplace are on the same stack but have individual flues, I was told that the problem may be that the "Feathers" have breached, which I believe are the bricks to seperate the individual flues. What I want to know is, what is the clay pipe & the air brick on the chimney stack, (see photo) any info would be appreciated.

PS: - The stack to the left is mine, one on right neighbours, bathroom flue runs on left of my stack with the log burner flue on the right, you can just make out the chimney pot for the burner.

Sponsored Links
I've recently installed a log burner in an old fireplace situated in our Kitchen, the flue was cleaned and checked as OK by our sweep & the guys installing the chimney pot.
Did you do the smoke bomb or did the sweep otto?

What I want to know is, what is the clay pipe & the air brick on the chimney stack, (see photo) any info would be appreciated.
That air-brick looks to me like it's serving a separate flue (i.e. not the bathroom or burner flue). I would take a guess (and it's not really my field of expertise) that there's an additional flue that's been capped (chimney pot removed) and that's been added to provide ventilation through the flue to the breast and somewhere there will/should be a chimney breast that's boarded up with a vent so you have through ventilation.

Your clay pipe looks like something has been discharging out of it......

Clay pipe is a form of downdraft relief hole :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back