what are your views on this diy install ?

cbr I'm out of step with many of the others on this one. I prefer to visit up front, to check/advise if anything like position is likely to be a problem.
Mounting isn't a big deal as long as the builder can get a fixing in the wall. I'd say that I was going to hang on it myself and try to pull it off the wall. Not had a problem yet.

Lay gas pipe if you like but don't join it - I want to inspect for burs and use the right flux. Air test the pipework (please) but don't put water in it.
Provide proper drain cocks or I walk.

Drill the hole for the flue by all means. Then it's like it's my job with the builder doing the plumbing and labouring. No problem.

But it's the most expensive work I ever do. I spent thousands on qualifications and carry the can, and come back if there's problem within the first year. A trained monkey can put a boiler in and get it going - that's not what you're paying for.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
A trained monkey can put a boiler in and get it going - that's not what you're paying for.

Thank goodness for that - I'd be stuffed otherwise :LOL:

ChrisR said:
A trained monkey can put a boiler in and get it going

That may explain why some people want to pay peanuts!

Agile said:
CBR900, as I have explained above those people are not acting correctly as far as CORGi are concerned.

They should fit the hanging bracket on the wall! If they dont do that then its illegal.

Please would you email me with their CORGi numbers and I will refer it to CORGI to ensure they dont do it again.

Whilst some CORGIs like Danny above will not take part in any part installs, there are still many who do, often partially illegally like those you have used in the past.

As long as its acceptable to CORGI then I am happy to do that work but no builder ever wants us to!

Every week we get a call or two asking us to "sign off" an installed boiler. We always tell them its illegal for any CORGI to do it. One Iranian fellow has been banned from CORGI for five years for that! He now instals boilers for someone else who IS registered!

Tony
So what you're saying is if I take the boiler and bracket down for them to put back up , it's legal .

Sponsored Links
CORGI will say that the RGI will only know if the fixing is adequate if he installs it. Furthermore the RGI will take full responsibility if the boiler falls off the wall.

Whilst Chris may hang on a boiler to test its mounting ( and if you have met Chris you will know thats a demanding test ) its not what CORGI ask us to do.

I dont make up CORGI's rules for RGIs, I only abide by them then I know I cannot go wrong!

Tony

Agile said:
I dont make up CORGI's rules for RGIs, I only abide by them then I know I cannot go wrong!Tony

:eek: Then why do you commission an unknown builders gas boiler installation :rolleyes:

Agile said:
what CORGI ask us to do
isn't written down.
So it isn't law.

Whenever I've warned someone about the fixings they've always gone OTT. I think the last one used 4x 4" carriage bolts. Fine by me.

Question - can you use an electrician to connect the wiring to a boiler or does that have to be someone corgi registered too :?: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Long story short, a boiler must be INSTALLED by a competent person, like a corgi registered engineer. That is different from signing off after the job was done by an amateur or complete cowboy. Speaking to a corgi inspector a while ago I mentioned this practice and he told me it could be reason to strike you from the register. Besides, why would you help businesses to undercut your own by using unqualified people to do the job?

Because he's just got £200 for a mornings work . I wouldn't mind doing a couple of those a day.

To answer Chris’ question, if you are not suitably qualified and registered for electricity, you MUST use an electrician who is. Unless you want to notify the council in advance, have them visit the job before and after, put up with the hassle of their inspectors of which some are not happy until they found something to moan about. Not to mention the building inspection service fee; usually at least 100 quid if not more.

corgiman said:
Honest people pay more and get a professional job done why should these people get an advantage because they have given you a sob story... s** them

Why does this statement annoy me ....... Ummmmm :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back