What bathroon extractor? In-line at 45 degrees possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bathroom fan has finally died, it has always been rubbish and I wanted to replace it with the best (sensibly priced) extractor I could.

Old one was roof mounted external one, feeding plastic 4 inch pipe.

After reading on here that if possible an in-line one is better I went to screwfix and got the £30 manrose kit they were offering.

Going up into my attic I have found that the only place I could put the extractor is about 50cm from the bathroom on a bit of pipe that goes at 45 degrees.

Is this daft? Am I asking for trouble mounting it at 45 degrees - was thinking that the bearings might not last long!

The room is small (2.5m by 2m) and we usually leave the door open when we shower but I hate a steamy mirror!

If I was to get an in-line could I just wedge it into the pipe or would I need to mount it on something?

DSCN2252.jpg

DSCN2253.jpg

Sponsored Links
It will be a lot of messing around to put an in-line fan in the loft. Easier to use a ceiling fan.
Make sure that it is a ceiling fan. The bearings tend to fail on fans designed for wall mounting if they are mounted on the ceiling.

It will be a lot of messing around to put an in-line fan in the loft. Easier to use a ceiling fan.
Make sure that it is a ceiling fan. The bearings tend to fail on fans designed for wall mounting if they are mounted on the ceiling.

I'm assuming that I will need a 240v fan? The fan as away from the shower but above the bath.

Sponsored Links
was there any condensate in the fan when you removed it? I can't see a condensate trap in the picture of the pipework you posted.

was there any condensate in the fan when you removed it? I can't see a condensate trap in the picture of the pipework you posted.

Hmmm...I'm not sure what I'm looking for?!

Are they build into extractors?

Found this....

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGCT.html

Certainly nothing like that in my attic - would one help?

If I were to drill a hole on my pipe in the attic and fit one where could I drain the water to?

yes that is a condensate trap. you can fit it at a 45 degree angle with the exit pipe at the lowest point. (I'm always amazed that builders think water flows uphill) Your pictures show two small bore pipes. What do these currently carry?

Was the fan you removed showing signs that it had condensate flowing down the pipe into the fan? If the fan was dry or just a little damp then you are very fortunate not to have a problem with condensation and can likely ignore the condensate trap.

An inline fan will be more effective than a ceiling one and as long as you can fix it at 45 degree angle will be fine (assuming condensation issues sorted)

Assuming the ACM100T is placd in the closed loft void, you will find it fairly quiet. You will certainly hear air moving, but the motor will be quiet-ish. Th dB figure given is if you where in th loft with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back