What Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just a quick hello as I am new to the forum and typically I need some help!!!!

My boiler has been playing up for a few weeks with the pilot light going out. I eventually found the pilot injector blocked so every time the boiler tried to fire it starved the pilot of gas and the thermocouple would cut the gas off but after fixing this I spotted the boiler appearing to have a little explosion within the boiler and it looks like the gas exchange has got a leak so gas is being leaked into the boiler and eventually explodes and as the boiler is over 30 years old I think it might be time for an upgrade.

So my real question is what boiler should I go for with my work load at the moment I do not want any major work so I am after a boiler I can just replace my old one with. I have a conventional system with a cold water storage tank and a hot water cylinder which I am quite happy with. Do I need a condensing boiler to comply with the regulations or can I fit a conventional boiler? And again the main thing is a recommendation of what boiler and possibly a place to get it. It is a 3 bedroom terraced house with one bathroom.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards Nick

Sponsored Links
What boiler you may still be able to get a burner
But it sounds more like the gas valve has gone and is passing gas when its meant to be off

At this stage is is best to upgrade the whole system. If you have good cold and pressure an flow go for a combi. How many baths, showers, etc?

The Broag 39C has a 5 year guarantee. They use primarily industry standard components and little plastic with Honeywell brass hydrobocks. The Broags are better quality than Vaillant and much cheaper. They are a well priced quality boilers having a superb control system with integrated outside weather compensation and OpenTherm control protocol control.

http://www.avantaplus.co.uk

Depending on flowrates needed, I would go for a Broag 35C or 39C combi that gives powerful showers and no pumps and get rid of the cylinder and tanks - on last legs after 30 odd years.

But I strongly suggest you go for the Broag 39C combi using the
weather compensation - integral with boiler. Cheaper installation, cheap to run, quality and reliable.

Hi thanks for the quick response I am not certain of the make it says International city boiler series UC and UD but I could not find anything when I did a quick search.

Regarding the fault sorry I should have explained a little bit better. The explosion happens when the boiler is running. The sequence is as follows I light the pilot which is now fine after my hours working on it lol!! I then turn the boiler thermostat up and the boiler fire’s up fine with a nice blue flame then after about 1 or 2 minutes the boiler seems to explode with a big bang and the flames turn yellow for a few seconds then it turns back blue and the boiler runs fine but when you repeat the same sequence it does it again, so the only thing I could think of was the gas valve passing too much gas but if that was the case I would expect it to keep doing it or as I suspect there is a hole in the burner that the gas is leaking from but not lighting until the whole chamber fills up and the leak then burns ok until the boiler cuts out, but I could be way off the mark so any help appreciated

Regards Nick

Sponsored Links
Be very wary of BB, he has never fitted a gas appliance in his life. He is unregistered, unqualified and only gets his info from googling the manufacturers websites :rolleyes:

I am after a boiler I can just replace my old one with. I have a conventional system with a cold water storage tank and a hot water cylinder which I am quite happy with. Do I need a condensing boiler to comply with the regulations or can I fit a conventional boiler?
you are obliged to have a Condensing boiler due to energy efficiency except under ususual circumstances. You can get a boiler that will slot into your existing arrangement if that is what you want. I did.

Lots of fitters like Combis because they are usually less work to fit so quick and profitable for them. However they may need a larger gas pipe, and they must have a good water flow or your bath taps will be dispappointing. I am a householder and am very happy with my tank and cylinder, it fills a bath very quickly and doesn't matter if someone is using a hot tap in another part of the house.

Do you just have one bathroom and no additional shower room?

Fill a bucket from the cold kitchen tap and see how many litres per minute you get. This is relevant.

If you have an old system it is pretty certain to be full of dirt, rust, sludge and sediment. This will do no good at all to a new boiler and damage will not be covered by the guarantee so your installer must flush it out thoroughly. You can make a start by adding Sentinel X400 to the circulating water up to 4 weeks beforehand, this will loosen some of the old sludge and make it easier to clean. On an old system it is worth fitting a Magnaclean device as well (you can never get all the sediment out) as it traps whatever black oxide particles are carried around in the water before they can accumulate into a blockage.

Yep sounds like hole in burner or end cap retaining bolt has rotted and end cap letting gas out. If its a baxi good chance burner still avialable

Lots of fitters like Combis because they are usually less work to fit so quick and profitable for them. However they may need a larger gas pipe, and they must have a good water flow or your bath taps will be dispappointing.

Very true, but if sized right and installed properly they deliver the performance.

half the time people on here are too busy arguing in thier littlle war games to give some advice, i thought that it just went on in the combustion chamber but it,,s everywhere , :confused:

In answer to the actual question, if your not planning on doing much upgrading then something like a potterton suprima HE would be a decent choice. Its not as sensitive as most Band A steamers to system imperfections

This incompetent works for Vaillant.

Take no notice those who do not come out with any positive comments. They are incompetent bluff boys. The 6 months Corgi ticket men. Beware!

I have more qualifications, experience and skill than you earned over the last 10 years in the trade. Not a 6mth corgi ticket (which you would fail anyhow as google isn't permitted in exams). You are an imposter, a wannabe expert and a hipocrit.

Well this incompetent bluff boy has been working in the industry for 26 years and been Corgi registered since it became compulsory in 1994. I've also been a member of the IOP (now the CIPHE) for longer than I care to remember.

Nearly forgot. I like the Baxi solo HE as a heat only boiler which is tolerant of older systems. People are too keen to chuck a combi in nowdays. It's not always the best solution despite what some people think.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back