What can DIYnot offer the Tradesman?

Sponsored Links
I'm a non-tradesman lurker on these forums; I dip in if / when I need to figure something out. Generally I can find what I need via search / stickies / the wiki and not bother anyone with a repeat question.

Been spending a bit more time here over the last few days since I'm out of work and trying to figure out whether having a go at re-doing our downstairs loo and/or an en-suite to a standard I'd find acceptable are within my capabilities.

To address bathstyle's original question - I had actually considered that were I to decide the en-suite is out of my comfort zone, I might PM you and see if you do work in my area. For two reasons: you list your location more specifically than just UK, so I know that it might make sense; having spent a lot of time reading here recently, I recognise your name and have observed that the advice you give makes sense, is friendly, and is generally supported by others who's posts fit that description too.

gcol, for what it's worth, your tiling sticky and all the advice you've given in the stuff I've researched recently have inspired me to believe that I could make a more than half decent attempt at my first shower room & tiling job. Understand you're fed up of the tiling forum - I actually felt genuine sadness when I saw the 'no more updates' edit of yours in the sticky, which is a bit of wierd since we've never met... Were I in the North West, I'd be at least contemplating PM'ing you too for work.

Having said the above, I did wonder if a non-posting member PM'ing a regular to see if they were interested in quoting for a job would actually be likely to elicit a genuine response?

It occurs to me that were I in work, I'd be wondering how to find someone to do the bathroom, but since I've had the time to research how to do it myself, I've discovered potential candidates. Irony?

Having said the above, I did wonder if a non-posting member PM'ing a regular to see if they were interested in quoting for a job would actually be likely to elicit a genuine response?

You show up as joining in 2004, to me your proberly more genuine , than some newer members with more posts.

If you want the work done and like what you read, then Pm them,checking there profiles usually gives an idea of there business.

Sponsored Links
But remember, not all of the lads on here are self employed, so don't be offended if someone doesn't want your work.

A photo will only paint a very tiny picture of what's entailed. Eg, I want a bathroom put in, but forget to mention the fact that it's in an old bunker 300m away from the main house!

like others i've been around sometime
I use the forums to help others if I can and in return hope that others will repay the compliment when I get stuck on something or am unsure.
been in the gas/electrical trade for over 25 years (so I can't be that bad LOL) still learn new stuff on here every week.
as for work I have had a couple of jobs from other posters and thanks to them for using me.
i try to offer a genuine helpful response to most things (with a bit of banter thrown in) but like other get a little tired of the drippy nerds that spout crap and generally be a pain in the arse on here. get a life FFS.

Sponsored Links
Back