What can I do about AAV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom has a 10"x10" boxed in bit running up one corner from floor to ceiling. Inside is a soil pipe that emerges into the loft, which I assume is an AAV? The house is 15 years old btw.

I'd like to refit the bathroom in the near future, but as it's only 6x6' it would be nice if I could get rid of this boxed-in bit to free up a little space (I'd like one of those sink/toilet combo units, which could then be fitted right into that corner). Are there any options, or am I stuck with it?

Sponsored Links
It is likely to be a vent pipe and probably emerges above the roof.

They were done like that around the 70s and 80s but have now allowed them to go outside again.

You will need a vent but if space and layout permits you could fit it externally.

Its not really correct but some people reduce the size of the vent pipe to save space!

Some people also fit an air admittance valve but this is not correct either as the whole point of the vent pipe is to provide ventilation to the sewer connection.

Tony

No it terminates in the loft and definitely an AAV after closer examination.

Sponsored Links
If it's internal to the house, be it a room or the attic space and AAV is required to stop sewer gases from percolating into the living space.

Building regs do allow you to drop a 110mm soil pipe down to 50mm after all the branched waste inlets but again if vented into an indoor space then an AAV should be fitted.

External run seems to be your only option here tho if you need the space back if it can be fitted. If not then the 50mm vent may be the only alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back