What can i use WD40 for on the car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound a stupid question, but i'm stupid when it comes to cars so hey......

I know some people rave about WD40 and it's many miracles. Can anyone give me any idea's what i can use it on in my car (Vauxhall Vectra 1997) so help it in any way. It's looking a bit old and i'm sure there must be ways of prolonging the old feller?

Can i use it in the engine? Another stupid question i know, but then again it does claim to be flammable.

Thanks,

Calv.

Sponsored Links
It's ok for drying arcing ht leads or dist. cap in an emergency. You can spray it into the top of carbs for firing up but not really a good idea imo. Spray it on rusty nuts and bolts for penetrative lubing. (not a good substitute for ky gel though, so I'm told) . Or any hinges etc.. Read the side of the can for others...

Fanbelts to stop them squeaking (yes really)

Its also really good for removing oil stains from your hands when you've been working on the engine. Rub it in and wash off with soapy water. Better than sugar-soap :)

Sponsored Links
I just like the smell, :LOL: beter than those car air freshner things

Electrical connections, plugs etc
Windows (helps them slide in the runners)
Anti-rollbar bushes - they tend to squeek when the weather gets hot

Pretty much squirt it on anything except for brakes, clutches and bearings

Sometimes use it on most things plastic under the bonnet. Makes your air filter housing etc look nice and clean. At least for a while.

Being so ancient I can remember WD 40 coming onto the market.It can do all the good things listed above,but only for a while.A squeaky hinge or bush will probably become noisy again after it has evaporated.So you need to apply it again. WD 40 is short for "water dispersant for 40 days".Not a lot of people know that.Geoff.

yes2mud said:
WD 40 is short for "water dispersant for 40 days".Not a lot of people know that.Geoff.

fraid that is not true

its water displacement 40, since the other 39 attempts at getting it right didn't work.

It is also the only product they make

dont't believe me? see here

breezer said:
yes2mud said:
WD 40 is short for "water dispersant for 40 days".Not a lot of people know that.Geoff.

fraid that is not true

its water displacement 40, since the other 39 attempts at getting it right didn't work.

It is also the only product they make

dont't believe me? see here

I love reading your posts its either fact or my favourite sarcasm :LOL:

Thanks for that info breezer,the stuff you find on the internet!! What I have believed to be right for 45 years or more is wrong.I do stand by the first part of my post though,WD40 is limited in it's life.These days I use a product called ACF-50 which is much more effective for longer.

A squirt up the air filter intake used to help get my old Fiesta going. Before closing the choke, obviously.

yes2mud said:
Thanks for that info breezer,the stuff you find on the internet!! What I have believed to be right for 45 years or more is wrong.I do stand by the first part of my post though,WD40 is limited in it's life.These days I use a product called ACF-50 which is much more effective for longer.

Ten more days makes all the difference ;)

Noodlz,I see you have a lot of posts to your credit.Do any of them actually help anyone or are they mostly sarcastic crap?

You can also use WD40 for removing chewing gum off your car seats, or any thing else for that matter.

Sponsored Links
Back