What connection scheme to wire in bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Firstly, I have an RCD protected fused spur powering the bathroom.

I need to wire in a bathroom mirror. This comes with a built in transformer for the 12v lamps. There is a flying lead out of the top of the mirror. This needs to be connected to the spur in the loft. I am going to chase in the lead from the loft, down the wall to the mirror area. However, what is the appropriate way to connect the lead from the loft to the flying lead on the cabinet. Should I used some sort of plate on the wall (like a cooker plate) and wire the flying lead in to a connector block inside that? Or can I just used a connector block that can sit on the top of the cabinet (I can't believe that is OK in a bathroom)

TIA

James

Sponsored Links
34245971.jpg

and

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Please be honest with yourself, even if with no-one else.

Prop that mirror up somewhere, look yourself in the eye, and see whether you really think, given your knowledge of electrical installation work, that you'll be able to comply with the law.

James,

I would chase down from the ceiling to behind where the mirror is to be sited and put in a backbox and the flex outlet you suggest. This would be the most aesthetically pleasing. If the flex outlet cannot be sited behind the mirror then I would chase 'flylead' into wall and crimp/heatshrink the joint.

Do not put a chocblock or junc box into wall (plastered over) as they need to be accessible.

Make sure you are aware to locate the chase in a vertical run directly above the backbox.

You say the whole bathroom is on a RCD spur. What other elec items are in the bathroom on this spur.....lights/extractor fan etc.....be careful not to overload the spur.

Do you know what your supply type is: tn/tt?? This may have implications re earthing.

Sponsored Links
Do not forget. RCD protecting all circuits in a bathroom only complies if:

all other main earth and equipotential bonding also complies with 17th edition regs.

and any pipes etc that could introduce a potential into the bathroom are effectively connected to the MET

EDIT: think u already said that!

In answer to the points above...
Yes, aware of requirements of Part P. Installation will be done to the required standard. Point of the question is to improve my knowledge to the point of do the job correctly.

Spur from the ceiling rose, feeds the power shower, central light, extractor fan and this new mirror. Nothing pulling much juice there, although trying to find ampage figures for all to double check.

Equipotential bonding done on required pipes. This mirror does not required/have an earth although will earth the backbox.

Don't want to chase flylead in to wall in case things need to be removed, so sounds like the backbox and flex outlet is the way to go.

Actually one further Q.

The design of the mirror means that I cannot get the flex outlet behind it - the entire back is flush to the wall. So, is it appropriate to have the outlet just above the mirror? It will be effectively invisible to casual passers by there, so aesthetically OK, but it conform to the requirements. (Trying to find the appropriate section in the regs is a PITA)

Having it above will also make it much easier to wire in, as the mirror can be mounted prior to wiring.

If its not OK, then what other options are there?

TIA

Yeah if it works aesthetically then no problem, assuming the mirror flex is double insulated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back