What connections do I need? Kitchen Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’ve just moved into a 23 year old house and I’ve bought a new kitchen tap as the current one isn’t the best. Looking under the sink the current one has been fitted with plastic compression fittings and the new tap has come with flexible hoses.

What parts do I need to connect the new tap to the existing pipe work?
Photo%2030-11-2018%2C%201%2045%2029%20pm.jpg

The new tap has come with some adapters if that helps?
Photo%2030-11-2018%2C%201%2057%2009%20pm.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hard to see as the existing tap connections can not be seen you have copper tube with plastic Speedfit fittings by the look of it.
can you post pic of the underside of the existing taps and the new ones with the tails?

Yes I got those by right clicking and view image, but can't really see the connections to the taps old and new.

Sponsored Links
The T shaped speed fittings connect to the copper pipes on the existing tap. My question is how I connect the new flexible hoses to that speed fitting which probably involves some sort of adapter.

The new hoses are very long, is there any issues with having them gently looped?

Thanks

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg

Where do the other connections from the centre of the T's go off to? What do they feed?

You're going to have grief getting the pull out hose attachment on the mixer tap to operate smoothly unless you clear all the clutter away and create an unobstructed area for it to occupy... That probably means re-jigging all the existing pipework completely... They're a nightmare to get working reliably unless the space beneath the tap is completely clear.

To connect those flexis to the system, you will need these...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-adaptors-15mm-x-2-pack/2665r

And a couple of isolator valves or male irons with a flat face that won't cookie-cut the rubber washer in the flexi hoses. These cannot be connected directly into the Speedfit T's... You'll need a short bit of copper (can just use the old tap pipes if you cut them where they go up to 15mm).

I have labeled this up to try and answer your questions.

As I already have isolation valves I assume all I need are the fittings in your link above?

IMG_0241.jpeg

As I already have isolation valves I assume all I need are the fittings in your link above?

Well, if you have ballofix isolators (which are prone to leak when manipulated) then, yes the adaptors I linked are to get from there onto flexi BUT you have other feeds Teed off after the isolators so that all needs to be done upstream of them... Washing machine, dishwasher etc. It's a rough setup! I'd redo the lot over to the left side of the unit and allow a clear area for the new tap's umbilical hose.

Well, if you have ballofix isolators (which are prone to leak when manipulated) then, yes the adaptors I linked are to get from there onto flexi BUT you have other feeds Teed off after the isolators so that all needs to be done upstream of them... Washing machine, dishwasher etc. It's a rough setup! I'd redo the lot over to the left side of the unit and allow a clear area for the new tap's umbilical hose.

I had a feeling you would say that! There is a little redundant pipe work under there as there is a hot water feed for a washing machine which isn't used any more. The cold water comes off the meter at an odd angle which is why I think the original plumber has all those T's in and bent pipework at the back.

I 'll have a think of the best route as you are right it will work better if the pipe work is clear under there.

What are the other connections? Is it a boiling water tap and filtered drinking tap too?

As said rip the lot out and start over bringing the hot and cold to the front of the cupboard might help you to "loose" some of the flexi length.

These will let you connect flexis to copper without cookie cutting the washers.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/male-coupler-15mm-x/69358

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back