What could be the problem with gas fire pilot light not lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've a Gazco gas fire. It's wall mounted.

The burner is comprised of three elements mounted next to each other. The thermocouple, the burner and the thing that makes the spark (sorry - don't know the official name).

I had an issue whereby the fire was randomly switching off. Gazco tech help suggested that I change the burner so I bought a new one and my mate (who's a gas engineer) came up and fitted the new one over the weekend. He's never worked on this type of fire before but, between us we worked it out.

Unfortunately, now the pilot light won't ignite, however, during the initial "click click clicking" phase on start-up he lit it manually and the fire works perfectly when lit like this. We had to leave it there as he wanted to get back for the snooker but he has said that if I can find out what's wrong and buy the bits he's happy to fit them for me.

I just wondered if anyone can shed any light on what the issue could be.

Is there a way to test to see if the spark is there?

Do the spark-makers (for want of a better word) break?

Could it be the electrical box that's supplying the spark-maker (i.e. would I still get the "click click click" sound if that box was faulty? I thought the click sounds were generated by the spark itself)?

Does it need to be a critical distance away from the burner or a certain height etc?

These may be stupid questions and too general to answer (like - my car won't start - what could be the problem?) so apologies if they are and I can provide more details if needed.

Any help you can give me would be gratefully received. My mate's busy now until the last weekend in May anyway so there's not a major rush with this but would be good if I could get to the bottom of it by then and have bought whatever I need (or at least have some ideas for him to try).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back