What could this thing be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

first ever post on here and hoping it gives me a chance to add a photo...

In my airing cupboard I have a load of pipes as expected but one has a small device on the end of the pipe. Not sure what it could be or what it does. I have unscrewed the cap which has a small hole in the side and a piece of rubber in the cap. The thing that is attached to the pipes has a small hole in the top but thats about it. I was expecting water to spray out when removing the cap but nothing happened. Would be great if I could use it to bleed air out the system.

Thanks,
Phill

Sponsored Links
That's not an auto air vent but it is a manual one.The knurled cap can be loosened about a turn and air will come out(if you're lucky)and then re tightened.Sometimes the rubber washer under the cap sticks.Trying to remove the stuck washer sometimes results in a nice little water feature that you were not expecting. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Could be blocked with lime, take cap off and use a pin in the hole to unblock it, you will probably get air out before the water comes. P.S. you could be there a while if there's a lot of air in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back