What DIY have you done today?

I

imamartian

Well it is a DIY site after all.... let us know what you've done, and difficulties you found... any tips/hints.... recommended merchants, pitfalls to avoid.. and photos etc etc..

i suspect it'll get added to more at weekends... but let's build up a picture of DIY Britain...

Sponsored Links
i better go first on my own post...

today i got home from work to be faced by a new washing machine in the hallway. "Oh go on, plumb it in tonight.... pretty please !!"

So, i shifted the old one.... what a mess underneath... does no one clean this house? Tried to turn off the blue tap on the cold water feed.. and it's jammed. I twist really hard and the whole pipe moves.... not good.

So i squirted it with WD40.. left it for a bit, and still the same.
I decided i needed to turn off the water at the stopcock, and drain the water down to the outside tap (which was lower that the top connector to the washer). That worked well... pushed the washer into it's new home.

Then had a glance at the instructions and noticed it mentions "transportation locks" :eek: took the washer out and removed those... all is well. Sat down to a well eraned beer.

Mrs martian has already washed one load of washing.....

Only post here if your post does not fit into any other category above.

Would have been better placed on a different board. ;)

it's a thread about what diy people are doing.... so it's not specifically plumbing or woodwork... so i thought general DIY was best...!

Sponsored Links
I'm going to rehang one of those wavy IKEA mirrors today - but I've lost the instructions (with the dimensions on it), so it will involve a tad more cerebral act than one wants at the weekend. To add to my woes, the wall is made up from lightweight ash blocks under the plaster, so it will involve using no-nails into the holes to hold the rawlplugs fast.

My wife simply doesn't understand the complexities of this seemingly simple task of hanging a mirror :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've been stripping and sanding the old coating off a pine bathroom cabinet today. Just got the mirrored doors to do now, then reassemble it and put it up. ;) ;) ;)

I've mended a wooden garden bench (broken by the kids jumping on and off it)... made a bridge/ramp thing to help the kids get their bikes over some steps... and i've (almost) destroyed a wasps nest in one of my compost bins... been spraying them for days.... dislodged and broken most of the nest, but today when i tried lift it out with a spade... the were still a few little heads popped out !... :eek:

put a new rubber ring on the p trap under the kitchen sink..........she wants a new kitchen but that`ll do for now................... :LOL:

I have been helping a chap cut new worktops for in my kitchen.

Then afterwards I finished fitting hem.

Tomorrow I'm fitting a new sink & cutting the edging strip I glued on today.
Now I'm going to sent my son to the fridge for a can of beer....

Oh good - he actually came back with it :D

over tallented feker... :)

got the plans and cut list for that smaller chair with arms? I wouldn't mind a few of those..
easy to make or complex joints involved?

For the chair, http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/garden_chair_page1_6_06.html
I modified this slightly and screwed together rather than bolted.
You can reduce the width to accommodate UK dainty rears, it's a US site. ;) All the angles are easy to cut with a chop saw , assemble the two sides first and then join with seat and back.You can extend the design [longer back and seat] to give a bench.
The high back I just made up the design as I assembled, I'm not very good with planning, can't resist altering things, I let the available timber dictate the design.Same for the swing chair.
Ran all the pallet timber thru a cheap table top planer, comes up like new.

For the chair, http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/garden_chair_page1_6_06.html
I modified this slightly and screwed together rather than bolted.
You can reduce the width to accommodate UK dainty rears, it's a US site. ;) All the angles are easy to cut with a chop saw , assemble the two sides first and then join with seat and back.You can extend the design [longer back and seat] to give a bench.
The high back I just made up the design as I assembled, I'm not very good with planning, can't resist altering things, I let the available timber dictate the design.Same for the swing chair.
Ran all the pallet timber thru a cheap table top planer, comes up like new.

Looks great anyway mate, you should sell them on the side.

Blue ones would really pi$$ chep off :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back