what do I do here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working on my Talbot motor home and took the pipe off from the airfilter to the air in-take on the top of the manifold (peugeot j5 2.5 diesel engine) and I put a rag in the hole to keep the dirt out and I started the engine and the rag got sucked in !! I have tried to fish it out but cant see it or feel it, how do I go about getting it out and what damage could it cause? Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Sponsored Links
You will need to dismantle as much as you can, if the rag has got into the cylinder, dependant on size of the rag, it might well combust and be burnt, it should come out as smoke, it's a difficult discission.
First I would try turning the engine crankshaft with a spanner for two complete revolutions, if it turns, then fire it up and hope.
Please keep us informed of outcome.

Wotan

I think I'd be inclined to drop the inlet manifold off, in case the rag has got tangled with the valves......I'd hate the valve to be held open, just to be belted by a rising piston!
How long did the engine run for?
John :)

The engine only ran for about 1 minute I said "rag" but what it was, was a rubber non slip mate about 12"x12" sq. I crumpled it up and stuffed it loosely in the hole, I started the engine jumped out the cab noticed what I had done and quickly turned the engine off.

Sponsored Links
Hell :eek:
I can't see how that thing could have got ingested, unless it was very thin.
I'd have to take the manifold off.....

I'd have thought that if it ran for a minute any damage it's going to do is done. As already said you may have to strip the manifold to find it. However, it may sound a bit daft, but if you didn't actually see it get sucked in, it's not fallen out and resting on something, in a dark corner of the engine bay, or fallen on the floor is it?

I'd have thought that if it ran for a minute any damage it's going to do is done. As already said you may have to strip the manifold to find it. However, it may sound a bit daft, but if you didn't actually see it get sucked in, it's not fallen out and resting on something, in a dark corner of the engine bay, or fallen on the floor is it?

Have thought of this and have had a look round and under but found nothin' Someon has suggested to get a vacumn and tape abit of hose to the end and try and suck it out, might have a go at this....

Anything's worth a go. If it's that rubber mesh type non slip stuff it might have burnt up as already said, or even gone straight through. There's not much substance to it. Tried a hook bent on the end of some stiffish wire to have a careful feel around?

I can't see how that thing could have got ingested, unless it was very thin......
A friend told me how he lost a waxed cotton jacket trying to stop a diesel tractor engine that started running away with itself in his workshop. He stuck the jacket against the air filter inlet to strangle the engine, and the whole jacket disappeared up the pipe!

The reason the engine was running away? - He had overfilled the oil bath air filter, and the engine was running on the surplus oil picked up by the the induction airflow. Of course, the faster it revved, the more oil it picked up, so the faster it tried to rev - despite the best efforts of the governor!

I can't see how that thing could have got ingested, unless it was very thin......
A friend told me how he lost a waxed cotton jacket trying to stop a diesel tractor engine that started running away with itself in his workshop. He stuck the jacket against the air filter inlet to strangle the engine, and the whole jacket disappeared up the pipe!

The reason the engine was running away? - He had overfilled the oil bath air filter, and the engine was running on the surplus oil picked up by the the induction airflow. Of course, the faster it revved, the more oil it picked up, so the faster it tried to rev - despite the best efforts of the governor!
I saw something similar in industry, we had a large roots blower supplying low pressure air, it was running with the air intake filter off, a fitter put his hand in exposed inlet to test suction, it whipped the glove off his hand in micro seconds, would dread to think what would have happened if his hand had have entered the inlet pipe. :eek:

Wotan

I have been working on my Talbot motor home and took the pipe off from the airfilter to the air in-take on the top of the manifold (peugeot j5 2.5 diesel engine) and I put a rag in the hole to keep the dirt out and I started the engine and the rag got sucked in !! I have tried to fish it out but cant see it or feel it, how do I go about getting it out and what damage could it cause? Thanks in advance for your help ;)

http://www.talbotoc.com/portal.php

Sponsored Links
Back