what do to with the 'plinth' ? K-rend or paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been caught in an argument between the K-render team (who have done a great job) and the Building Contractor on our project.
Apologies for the long question but you will need the background.

In summary, the render team told me (after they had finished most of the job) that they do not render over the DPC line. I was surprised because the drawings for the house show completely white (rendered) walls. They said that its usually painted because the DPC needed to breathe and also because K-rend would get dirty (implying its difficult to wash?).

I took the word of the render team because they were very professional.
After they had finished however, the BC, said that I had instructed the renderers not to render on the plinth and he would not therefore paint or finish the plinth (even though it was he who subcontracted the renderers and I had paid the BC for the full job!).

Apart from the BS I get from the BC on payment, can someone tell me if:

a) I can actually get the plinth K-rendered? (and pay myself to get the same team back)
b) if not, what is the alternative? Masonry paint?
c) if painted, aesthetically, what colour would be recommended here? Either anthracite grey to match the window frames, fascia and garage doors (when they arrive) or a white paint that will hopefully match the K-rend?

Form the photos you will see its quite a high plinth and it only goes around 2/3 of the front of the property. The LHS of the house is brick so if painted or rendered it would not be applied all the way across the front of the house (or should it?).

Really appreciate your views on how to proceed here, especially with which material.

regards, Cal

Attachments

• side of house.jpeg
    side of house.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 738
  • front of house.jpg
    front of house.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 677
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 636
Sponsored Links
It gets rendered, the bead breaks the line between DPC and plinth.

it’ll be stinking in less than 12 months.
krend hate the stuff.

Sponsored Links
The guys will have used a bell cast bead along the line of the dpc where the render stops.
Below the bead can be rendered same as above.
It will get dirty though, usual practice is to use a facing brick up to dpc.

Thanks Alastair.

So from the responses above it sounds like:

- it would be possible to add K-render to the plinth (on what is there now? there is no issue with 'DPC' not being able to breathe)
- but paint is also common (grey suits better in this instance?)
- might have been better to have brick up to the DPC (to tie in with brick on existing LHS I guess it could be at least clad with similar brick?)

any more thoughts any one on what would look best given the situation?

many thanks in advance

Dpc's don't breath, they are installed to prevent the passage of moisture.(y)

The OP has not said if a BellCast was installed and the pics dont show.

Any BellCast should finish just above the DPC line.
The DPC line in a new build should be 150mm above ground level.
Your DPC is bridged.
The brickwork below the DPC should be exposed.
The Plinth should not even be there.
The plinth should not be in ground contact.
The plinth is now bridging the DPC, and wicking up moisture from the ground.

The OP has not said if a BellCast was installed and the pics dont show

What makes you think the dpc is bridged?

There is clearly beads installed.

My own house which is 70yrs old has a rendered plinth from construction...white as well! No problems so far.

The dpc is clearly more than 150mm above fgl.

Is that you back out Bobar$$?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-070656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-070656_Chrome.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Thanks All,

There is definitely a hard line at the bottom of the render so I'm assuming that is the bead...

So it sounds like it should have been brick not a concrete plinth perhaps.

But now, I assume I can just (grey) paint over the screed (or whatever the sand-coloured concrete is).
Then, if we decide that the grey doesn't look great, I guess we can we still render over it later? I understand K-rend also have some silicon-based paints for painting these areas so perhaps I could get a white to match the colour of the render and try that as a sample though I get some of you think it will just be dirty all the time.

Going back to the brick - does thin brick cladding exist - if I could get one to match the original house? Or would sticking them on also jeopardize the integrity of either the DPC or bring moisture up to the K-rend?

Apologies for more questions but is worth it to determine my next steps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back