What does it mean when Nige's lips are moving?

Use conditional answers.

Do you want to leave- yes or no- if you answered yes, do you want option 1 (soft) or option 2 (hard)?

Granted it means that leavers have to answer one more question than remainers but I don't see that as being a major hardship.

I cannot see any other way of ceding to the "will" of the people unless you ask them what they really want.

If the majority answer yes, you then take into account their second response. That said, if in the event of the majority votes being to leave and a majority of leavers voting for a soft brexit, the likes of Farage will probably still claim that the democratic will of the people has been ignored.
If the majority voted Leave, shouldn't the Remainers also have a say in whether it is hard or soft?

Then it would be a simple 'first preference' and 'second preference' for all voters, like the NI transferable vote system.

Sponsored Links
Better still we can just get on with revoking article 50.

Nobody talks about any good reasonsvfor Brexit now, the narrative is 'we just need to get on with it'.

Its dangerous because leavers arent interested in why, they are only focused on 'its got to happen.
Like talking to the wall,,,that is why,,it has all been said....Move on,,,

Sponsored Links
If the majority voted Leave, shouldn't the Remainers also have a say in whether it is hard or soft?

Then it would be a simple 'first preference' and 'second preference' for all voters, like the NI transferable vote system.

The only problem I can see with that is that the bulk of remainers would vote for a soft Brexit. Let's assume that 52% of voters vote to exit and that 100% of remainers vote for a soft brexit, that means that soft automatically gets 48%. It would only take 6% of the leavers to vote for soft for the soft brexit to win. That is gonna pee off the other 94% of hard brexiters who will probably argue that brexit by definition means a hard brexit and that without a hard brexit, their will is being ignored (again).

Therein lies the problem. The referendum didn't not clarify what people were voting for. Leaving the EU means different things to different people.

Leave EU......

And what exactly does the leaving the EU entail? We could, for example, negotiate to give EU citizens right of abode in the UK in return for a harmonised customs union. We would no longer make payments to, or receive subsidies from the EU but, hey, we would no longer be a member of the EU anymore.

The only problem I can see with that is that the bulk of remainers would vote for a soft Brexit.

Let's suppose that 52% of the voters want, or are willing to accept, a negotiated deal; and do not want, and are not willing to accept, a no-deal.

Can you think of a way of saying that it would be democratic to go for no-deal?

That is gonna pee off the other 94% of hard brexiters who will probably argue that brexit by definition means a hard brexit and that without a hard brexit, their will is being ignored (again).
A referendum is not a competition where the winner, by even the smallest of margins, takes all. The losing side also have an opinion that needs to be considered.
That's where May made her big mistake.

A referendum is not a competition where the winner, by even the smallest of margins, takes all. The losing side also have an opinion that needs to be considered.
That's where May made her big mistake.

I agree.

Sponsored Links
Back