What does this mechanism do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We've had new windows fitted. What does this purple button do? (the image shows the bottom of the window). There a purple catch top and bottom. I presume its so the window can be angled out so as to clean the exteriors? How does it work?

IMG_0745.JPG

Sponsored Links
My guess is... to allow the window to be open further. Either to stop kids jumping out, or to facilitate moving the "hinge" point so you can clean the outside of the glass from the inside.

(I assume that's supposed to be horizontal and your photo is rotated 90degs?)

Nozzle

you put your thumb on the ridged plastic part and press it, it allows the window stay to slide further along so the window opens further.

It may help to clean out the hinge and slider mechanisms once a year or so with a half-inch paintbrush and a jug of warm water with car shampoo. The design should cause the dirty water to drain outside and run off the windowsill, but fluff or bits of leave may clog it.

Try not to add oil as this attracts gritty dirt. Car shampoo leaves a slightly waxy coating

Ah I see - so each window opens more than 90 degrees? Thats good news as I like windows wide open.
I have to push BOTH the top and bottom purple parts?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how many degrees yours opens, but releasing the restrictors allows it to open further than usual.

No its an 'easy clean/egress hinge', it allows the window to open to 90° for fire escape purposes, but as a consequence it doesn't allow for you clean the window from inside, by pressing the buttons on the hinge, probably be black slidey bits it allows the whole sash to be slid over, press and hold each button while sliding the sash, older windows tend to be a bit stiff so a spray of silicone or graphite spray helps lubrication, new windows will have a smear of grease in the track but this will soon wear off so lube 2 or 3 times a year, bathrooms more so as the humidity dries them out so quick, a short video shows how the hinge works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back