What door strip do I need here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5AD827AD-288E-454C-82BD-2BC2A2175950.jpeg
Hi,

There is a small gap between my laminate floor and the door strip. I still need to have carpet laid down and was advised you can buy a different type of door strip that attaches to carpet one side and laminate on the other. I am however struggling to figure out what one to buy as there seems to be a lot of different ones. I have attached some pics and would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
2F9CE06C-AF10-499A-B7ED-27BEB6E0EA8D.jpeg

Attachments

• 909D87F7-DB30-4D40-A338-AB5775FA050F.jpeg
    909D87F7-DB30-4D40-A338-AB5775FA050F.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
I've bought-in 50 to 100mm wide hardwood before now for customers and plane up my own (two rebates, two broad chamfers and a bit of rounding-over

Sponsored Links
normally the strip is around 38 -45mm wide so when the door is shut you only see the floor covering on each side in your case the best option you can hope for is a visible around 20-25 mm off the strip visible on the laminate with the door closed and the carpet under the door

I've bought-in 50 to 100mm wide hardwood before now for customers and plane up my own (two rebates, two broad chamfers and a bit of rounding-over
flashy bugger:D
yes indeed i love doing it in oak and brass screws but less than 6mm lip can break more than 9mm can be a trip hazard so always run up at least 2 spares so 7mm+8mm+9mm fit the 8mm and leave the spares
never done as a stand alone job as its time and material rich but as a nice touch on a say engineered floor or stair cladding leaves a good impression that you care :whistle:

The threshold butts to the carpet, does not over-sale it .Best installed once the carpets down.[Your laminate has been cut a tad short.]

i used some threshold material from a timber yard 15mm height , its not oak, but looks similar , and cut to the full width of the doorway and then used some oil to make a bit of a feature
https://www.coversmerchants.co.uk/par-hardwood-threshold-19-x-138mm
https://www.coversmerchants.co.uk/par-hardwood-threshold-19-x-115mm
we live in a bungalow and so all the hallway now has these thresholds - 10 door ways + a kitchen into lounge
We like the look , but not to everyones taste
Were we have laminate Kitchen & Dining room, its at the same level as the threshold , carpet with underlay is similar height - depending on the quality we choose to fit.

Iroko doesn't look anything like oak, but more like teak. Oak is cream to pale brown when cut (American red oak can look pinkish) and has a pronounced open pore appearance and relatively straight grain. It all goes to golden brown over time when given a clear lacquer coating. Iroko is golden brown to dark brown when cut, often with noticeable dark bands in it, and the gtreain is often rowed (like sapele "mahogany") . Iroko is horrible stuff to machine or sand as it contains some sort of respiratory irritant (it smells peppery and can cause fits of sneezing as well as eyes watering and nose running) - I'm actually allergic to the dust off it, and I'm not alone. But it is a hard, naturally oily wood which wears well and which can be put in weather exposed places for years without much maiuntenance

Oak Grain.jpg
Iroko Grain.jpg

Left: oak, right: iroko (actually a lot paler than any of the stuff I've ever used)

Everything looks the same if you put a dense enough grain filler on it plus a dark enough stain :sneaky: Except pine - which always looks like pine, even when stained :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back