What Downlights to use

All

Thank you for your replies. We have now decided against putting any downlights in the bedroom and reception rooms.

We will have good quality LED downlights installed in the kitchen, bathroom and hallway only.

thank you all again.

GNC
That is partially good news - just remember that LED down(spotlamps)lights shine their light in small pools determined by the beam angle.
Use this to see the difference between say a 38degree and a normal pendent light.
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/article/spotlight-beam-angles/
If you look at the pools of light produced by downlights you can clearly see that you are going to need a lot more to provide the same amount of light as a standard pendant - probably in the region of 6 - 1.

Having dark areas is okay for ambiance but not okay for a kitchen where you are cutting things with sharp knives. In my view in the kitchen it is better to have a good quality central light backed up by undercupboard lighs in areas where you work

Also don't forget that LED downlights are less powerful than halogen with a 5w giving out about the equivalent lumens to a 40w halogen.
You will need to get something in excess of 5w to meet the standard 50w halogen lumens standard.

Finally, expect to pay between £35/40 for a good quality LED unit. Ignore the adverts that say they produce little heat - look at the size of the heatsinks on them.
If you put them in an upstairs bathroom then you will need to keep them clear of loft insulation.

Sponsored Links
In my view in the kitchen it is better to have a good quality central light backed up by undercupboard lighs in areas where you work

I fitted two ceiling lamps placed so that the area of a person's shadow from one was illuminated by the other , They are close to diagonally opposite corners of a almost square kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back