LED or Halogen downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are refurbishing our house, and would like to install downlights in every room. Having had downlights in the past I like a clean feel they give, plus we don't have very high ceilings so it will be good not to have a pendant dangling in the middle of the room!

We would like the majority of the lighting to be dimmable - probably in all but the hallway, landing and bathroom areas.

I had ruled out LED on the basis that it was unsatisfactory when combined with dimmers, but it seems things have moved on now...

What are the pros/cons of each type? It seems the cost of LED bulbs has come down dramatically, (I've seen them on eBay for circa £10 each like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GU10-LED-...1?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item3a86552c19)

Given the running cost is so much less should we be considering LEDs? Are the installation costs/considerations and different for halogen vs LED?

Any help much appreciated!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Halogen
Pros
* cheaper to buy

Cons
*They dissipate more heat
*The life of the lamp is less
*They use a greater amount of energy

LED
The reverse of the above.

If you really must have downlights in every room, then do NOT buy halogen ones.
If you want them to be dimmed, make sure the dimmer is compatible with LED lamps - minimum loading is often an issue.
Don't buy the lamps on ebay either - the examples listed claim to have a 2 year guarantee, but that is useless if you can't actually return them.

Clere3....what did you do in the end? ....I'm having the exact same issues. I want to put down lighters in bedroom but am not sure whether to go with GU10s with LED lamps or the integrated LEDs. I'm also unsure how to deal with the insulation around the Lamps in the loft space. I too want to be able to fit loft boards. Then I've read about the condrndation issues that can occur.

Just trying to come up with the best plan of action really and so wondered what you did in the end?

Sponsored Links
Regardless of which type you go for the light, transformer or any composited fitting will require ventilation and separation from thermal insulation, often loft braces can be fitted to do this, the standard now is to introduce 270mm of insulation within the loft, installing downlights is likely to compromise this and create issue with regards to boarding out and keeping the required depth of insulation.
With regards to selection of lamp type, I personally would go down the path of installing LEDs this can be either via 240V a driver or a composite fitting.
If you require them to be dimmed then your selection must be based on that as some can and some cannot be dimmed.
The cost of LEDs will be substantially more than Halogen, but efficiencity, lifespan and often as much as 10 years warranty will in the long run outweigh the upfront costs.

Thank you for the reply.

I would like dimmable LEDs and I was also looking at the integrated LEDs as they have a smaller depth leaving so they poke out less on loft.

My plan was to fit these LEDs, then in loft fit 120mm celotex up to with 100mm of each downlight. Then use a fire hood or something to go over the diwn lights. Then put mineral over the top of the fire hood. Finally I want to board out the loft. My joists are 150mm deep so If I use 120mm celotex, it Will leave 30mm ventilation between loft boards and celotex insulation, and where downlights and fire hoods are I'll try to leave a bit of ventilation between them and loft boards too.

What do you think?

If you are boarding over the loft joists, then any joints that is made in the cable's must be accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing. or be jointed in a method that complies to that of a maintenance free joint. This would involve either special jointing methods or the use of a MF (maintenance free) joint box. So it would be advised that any joints can be at least accessed through the hole of the downlight.

You plan sounds fine.
A suggestion to increase insulation depth would be to deepen joists, this can be done be fitting timbers perpendicularly across the existing ones.

Thinking about all this I'm wondering if I'll be better not have downlights and fitting two light fittings from the ceiling with led lamps in. This way I would still get led efficiency, can still be dimmable. But I don't have issues of accessing wiring for maintainance or issues of down lighters acting as a bridge losing heat and condrndation issues. I would also then be able to lay insulation everywhere and easier in loft

Thanks... we have decided to go with the LED downlights, and plump for the more expensive 'Aurora' ones on recommendation from the sparky...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back