what edition was rcds introduced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What was the year and edition of the regs that stated sockets that can be used outdoors must be rcd protected?

Sponsored Links
I think it was the 16th edition, but certainly all sockets on a TT system had to be RCD protected for the 15th edition.
HTH, I'm sure others will be more specific.

Yep, the 16th edition way back in 1992 called for it.

Reg 471-16-01: A socket-outlets rated at 32 A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics sprcified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii)

Nearly ALL socket outlets rated at 20 A or less must now have RCD protection under the 17th edition.

<edit> Slight technical error corrected :oops:

cheers for that,

Im just pricing some work on a care home, the care home had a periodic inspection in 2006, and remedial work was carried out including new consumer units, ground floor socket and outside circuits, but not one consumer unit or circuit in the whole building offers rcd protection.

I really cant understand how it has a certificate,
its making my job hard to price as the owner is saying that he has a cert from 2006 which is still valid and cant understand why my electrician would need to change consumer units.

I will now inform him that this is not a new regulation as its been in since 1992 and the remedial works carried out in 2006 was maybe done incorrect.

Sponsored Links
ALL socket outlets rated at 32 A or less must now have RCD protection under the 17th edition.

It's 20A (411.3.3 (i)) and there are exceptions.
It's mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors (411.3.3 (ii))

OK, nearly ALL sockets:cool:

I did put 32A when it should have been 20A. I got confused by reading two editions at the same time :LOL:

471-12 fifteenth regs 1984

circuits originating in the zone created by the main equopotential bonding, specifically intended to supply eguipment to be used outside the zone.

a socket outlet rated at 32 amp or less shall have a RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back