what fitting is this on my staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After an accident, we need to replace the handrail, some spindles and the base bit to take the spindles.

I have no issues with doing the work - quite the opposit, however, I am a little bit stumped as to how the handrail is attached to the newels. attached is a JPG diagram showing the fitting. As you can see the Dowell plugs are at each side of the newel, rather than the opposite side.

So - how has this been done as due to small kids I need to get it done as soon and as fast as possible and will need to have everything in place for starting.

Many Thanks

Lawrenso

Sorry - no way to attach... I hope you get the idea from my description above[/img]

Sponsored Links
the rising handrail (diagonal) can be butted, glued & screwed to the newel, the screw being drilled at the appropriate angle so that it is concealed.

this will be done from below the rail at the low end and above the rail at the top end. the low end screw hole will be covered by the fillet and at the top, it will need filling and rubbing down.

Thanks Noseall, I think I get what you are on about, but not sure it applies here. Here is the image

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=1420518889

Thanks JohnD

I wonder if it is nothing more than a dowel, as each end of the handrail is not pulled tight at all, so there is no "pulling/tightening action" if you get what I mean. Do you think I should just go with the standard straight through method. I will more than likely be paining the Newels so that will help cover the old ones.

What should I do - take a 10mm drill bit to old ones to see what is underneath?

Cheers

Lawrenso

Sponsored Links
from the dowel you show, it looks like the end may have been cut into a tenon

in this instance, i would drill a deep countersink through the newel on the opposite side to the hand rail. about 40mm will be plenty.

into this hole, i would pilot and fix a 4" screw, through the newel and into the hand rail, applying wood glue between the two first.

I am actually replacing the handrail - do you think I should be able to drill right through this tenon? ie - it is just a dowel holding it in??

Cheers

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back