What fixings to screw 6x2 beam to brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm going to be screwing a 6x2 beam flat to a wall to support some further joists running perpendicular. What fixings should I use to screw this into a solid brick wall please?

Sponsored Links
Wood screws 5 x 100mm or 6 x 100m, brown plugs 7mm drill bit. Thunderbolts don't work too well in old (e.g. Victorian) brickwork unless you are lucky (I rarely am). Better still Rawlbolts or for poor masonry resin anchors

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Hammerfix. M8 or M10 min 100mm, 120mm preferably.

150 in then 600 centres, staggered 1/3 down/up.

Thanks which size? Timber will be 50mm thick so Im guessing at least 100mm length but what thickness?
I typically work to a rule of thumb that the fixing should penetrate the substrate to twice the thickness of the material being held; I'd use a 150mm fixing for a 50mm board

What will these joists that are attached to the 6x2 be required to carry?

I always use brass expanding anchors and some threaded bar. You can set them as deep as you need to depending on the material, and cut the stud off to the exact length. I wind them in with a couple of lock nuts and a spanner. https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/pro.../metal-anchor/brass-fixing-ms/78981-ms-8-x-28

For anything exposed to moisture you can use s/s thread bar. A box of these and a few lengths of thread bar and you've always got fixings of the correct length

What are the dimensions of the area being boarded?
Overall about 3-4m wide x 3m long. But its awkward - my house has a few internal solid brick walls that I am planning to take advantage of. So on one end there will be a ledger beam screwed onto the party wall, then the joists will run perpendicular with the other end of them sat on top of an internal brick wall.

There are other sections where I won't be able to do this and Im hoping to install supporting beams in different ways, for example between two external brick walls by sitting additional beams on top of wall plates.

I think I'd go with a few more fixings for that kind of area - maybe one every 300. Once each end of the 6x2 is fixed it's an easy thing to do with an SDS drill and an impact driver, to just work along it zapping a concrete screw in every foot - at 25p each it doesn't make sense to scrimp on them. I've linked to the 120mm ones but other lengths available

Never been that keen on concrete screws. They work well.in good quality modern masonry, but on older brickwork or stonework they can be very hit and miss (Rawlbolts are the same, I find)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back