what floor finish? concrete screed, sbr, industrial top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if i could get some advice on what floor finish to lay

basically i have a 24 sqm floor in a domestic studio space which will be used as a wood workshop, no forklifts or the like!

Presently the floor is made up of a 6 inch reinforced slab with dpm seperating it from insulation below.

The floor is fairly level with about a max 4mm difference over the 4m width, i put this down to footfall over the past 2 yrs, thats how long the slab has been down for.

I would like to have a smooth finish on top, not a glossy polished finish but just something that is flat and doesn't break up under foot fall. not that the floor is breaking up at the moment but it does "dust" a bit with a lot of foot fall.

I also don't want this floor finish to be very thick, ideally between 5-10mm

I have been advised by manufacturers but not one gives the same answer, sbr in concrete, larsen slc2000, ardex k301.

I don't want to break the bank but i don't want the floor to crack! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Sponsored Links
The floor is fairly level with about a max 4mm difference over the 4m width
Fairly level...!
Jeepers any more level and it will be a mill pond.

There are no cement based products that will be successful at 5-10mm.

You will need a two part epoxy based covering or lay some carpet.

It doesn't look like a bad product. Have no experience with the stuff though.
Would I use it? I think not. Always find stuff like that a bit gimmiky.
The amount of surface preparation you would have the old floor ripped out and then some.

Concrete is cheap where I live (£55 quid per meter. A few of the residents here don't believe it though as they live in rip off la la land)and a small area like that would only be a days work to complete including ripping it out.
Then a polished power floated finish.
Never consider cost when you want quality. Thats my motto.
And the floor will be dead level when finished and not 4mm out.

Sponsored Links
You reckon you could complete that job in a day in London?

Anywhere in London? What would you deem a working day? Bearing in mind a 6" reinforced concrete floor to tadge up, move and prepare for the pour. It would also mean having a concrete wagon and pump on standby in London.

Surely at this time of the year you would be looking at an early morning pour if you were to powerfloat the same day?

We do believe you could buy certain quantities of conc' at the prices you state but wholly disbelieve the prices you give folks on this forum for completing their projects in their area.

What is the point in misleading folks into believing that you could complete their jobs for x amount provided that you are doing them in you own backyard.

I would recommend you to use professional help talking about floor concrete, just because I've tried to do it by myself, and I had to pay twice, so maybe it would be better to consult with- Grindu betonavimo technologija , just because of their experience and quality!

why not seal it with concrete sealer to stop it dusting and then paint it.
4mm deflection is pretty flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back