What flux do you use

I wish I knew what was going on. I cleaned the copper until I could see my ugly mug in it. Still got loads of leaks :rolleyes:

Shame really as Laco is cheaper and as said above, has the brush built in.

Sponsored Links
My mates hands and arms have broken out with what looks like dermatitis and the only thing he can put it down to is changing flux. I told him to stop using the everflux and tell them he works for about it. It seems too strong. I hate the stuff.
Last time i used it i sent the lad to get some flux and he came back with that shyte as they had no laco. Used it on about 3 joints and binned it. Could feel it burning me.

Hardly ever clean a pipe or fitting with Laco unless it is really dirty, it self cleans fine and i don't get leaks. Bet i have one tomorrow for tempting fate :LOL:

Everflux for me, although I do get occasional dry spots on my hands so it's interesting to note that some of you guys seem to think this may be the cause. Incidentally it's now available in a tub with a brush in the lid for those of you who seem to like such things :rolleyes: The smell of Powerflow gives me a terrible headache, never used LaCo, might give it a go.

DeltaT, hope you aren't using that cheap flux on pipes carrying drinking water, as far as I can see it's not WRAS approved :rolleyes:

Everflux for me, although I do get occasional dry spots on my hands so it's interesting to note that some of you guys seem to think this may be the cause.

hope it's only your hands, and you know it's the flux.
as i used fernox ds3 got it on my hands and it put me in hospital for 4 days. and still recovering from it now.

Sponsored Links
Have any of you guys heard of PPE,I always wear decent gloves when im working,i use 3 different types one for general use as in pipework and fluxing etc another set for when i want to get inside boiler this stops them getting chewed up by sharp edges.Finally the latex ones are for working in any unclean enviroments

I hate the smoke Laco makes,just dont like the fumes at all.I use everflux all the time and yes it is very acidic it will cut into your hands and dry them out but that i stop with gloves and use only need to use it very sparingly in my opinion its whole lot better then Laco.

Never tried the cheap stuff from pulsar and i cant see myself changing ,we are all creatures of habit and will have our own favourites whatever makes you happy use it ,live and let live i say

Use both types Laco & Everflux , probably Everflux the most , never had any trouble with my hands from it , got some in my eye ounce that caused a slight problem ! Few years ago local merchants were pushing some type of solder paint , guess who bought some :cry: & used it !
every joint leaked !! apart from that it was alright :)

DeltaT, hope you aren't using that cheap flux on pipes carrying drinking water, as far as I can see it's not WRAS approved

Get real 'muggles' son, we live & work in the real world!!

REAL men don't wear gloves FFS!! Big Jessie!!.............. :LOL: :LOL:

Thats right real men love to get dermatitis and the asscociated problems ,they also dont wear helmets because their skulls are hard as steel ,get real Dickie!

Looking after yourself and protecting your body from the stress and rigours of manual work should be major consideration for anyone in manual trade,As you get older thats when you realise how much damage you have done and unfortunately there is no reverse process

But unfortunately you will always be a Dick

Laco for me. As for wearing gloves I understand where Happyplumber is coming from. I personally find it a bit of a hindrance when soldering, I like to be agile and get good feel of the solder when applying, the gloves take that away from you. I guess when getting older I will maybe start looking at wearing gloves. My hand always are beaten up and chopped up. They just toughen up over the years I do however always wear knee pads! one piece of PPE you should always wear.

Laco for me, you can also use it (in extremis) when wiping joints - I have not done one for years though, can you still get a stick of solder?

As for gloves, I wear the blue latex ones, to stem the complaints about laddering the wifes nylons.....

she reckons I should wear my own.;)

DH

Yep wear latex gloves sick of cracks on thumbs in winter that dont heal,

also dust cause cracks to come back.

Travabon (Arco) great barrier cream no good if waters about, slap it on under nails all round dries real quick when you wash your hands it rinses off and all the muck with it.

Talking about flux I only use clipper fine wire wool it never cuts ya fingers !

Well, first of all, when I am in the pub, I only EVER talk about ;SEX DRUGS AND ROCK'n'ROLL, but regarding a flux to use; It has to be 'LACO', these so called 'self cleaning ' products contain a 'grit' to clean the tarnish from the metal to be soldered, which obviously dissolves during the heating process, but it causes the fitting to lock up on the fitting, which is annoying enough when you have total control and enough purchase to be able to push them together.
When it is in a confined place (often), and you cannot reach it properly ,it becomes impossible with these types of flux

I'm all for PPE 'nappyplumber', but some guys can't work wearing gloves and if you have soft Girly hands, may I suggest you change career & leave the real men to do the Plumber work.

A working man doing a manual job has ingrained dirt on his hands & should be proud of it. If you are worried about it, use a barrier cream as said & wash your hands.

A bit off topic Delta t , but Glasgow ect are you a celtic or rangers man ?

Fella I work with , his son who is just back from the under 16 world cup that was in Sweden , he got the golden boot award out there , has been approached by Celtic , he has got to go up there for a trial/game !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back