Engineer used glue to repair WM door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve just had a Hoover engineer out to fix the broken door lock on our washing machine. The door just would not catch on the lock for love nor money.

He has used glue to repair the locking mechanism.

I was expecting a new lock.

Is it normal to use glue or am I correct in thinking he really should have replaced the lock itself?

Why do I ask? Well, the lock does now work mechanically but seems to be out of sync with the digital locking sensor. Basically, it’s not as easy as opening and closing the bloomin door when it should be. I have to open and close the door and mess about before both sync together.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get him back out to fix it properly. Having said that when I was away from home my missus fixed a washing machine door hinge with superglue and it lasted another 3 years.

Was it a warranty job, perhaps he thought he was saving you money. If it was a warranty job then demand a new part as the repair is
sub- standard.

Was it a warranty job, perhaps he thought he was saving you money. If it was a warranty job then demand a new part as the repair is
sub- standard.

It is covered under the 10 year parts guarantee which Hoover run and we are registered under. We paid £129 for the labour and Hoover pay for the parts. The repair is guaranteed for a year. It does work but as I said the door is a little sensitive, when you close it now, it doesn’t always sync with the digital locking sensor so you play a game of opening & closing the door and pressing ‘start’ a few times until the sensor is happy and then finally the wash program will begin.

Sponsored Links
contact Hoover about it, explain that you are unsatisfied with a glued part (as glue will eventually fail) and expect a proper repair.
You should not have to mess with the door for it to sync.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back