what form of heating? (have oil)

Well away from gas.

Current oil system desperately needs replacing, it's 30 years old!

Roof not suitable.

I can have lpg tank though.

Sponsored Links
If you can have an LPG tank, then presumably there's plenty of space for an oil tank, if a replacement is needed?
Also, an elderly oil boiler can have a long life......my ancient thing (Myson Panda 55) has to be around 45 years old, and it stays until it starts leaking!
Irrespective of your fuel choice, the rest of the system either needs replacing or it doesn't.
Of these two choices, it's oil every time for me - and if you have plenty capacity it's much cheaper to buy in the summer (and now, just to confound things :p )
John :)
Ps what boiler do you have now?

Space for oil tank isn't an issue and I'd burry the lpg tank anyway (poss a draw back).

Not sure what the current boiler is but I'll sell it to a museum its solid metal of some sort and the house stinks of oil. Add that to the fact there's a metal tank in my garage that clearly hasn't been well looked after then I'm confident that the whole system needs replacing.

Hopefully prices won't rise for a few months.

Not many people suggest electric over lpg or oil!

Why does no one like electricity, is it just cost or is it ineffective heating?
Electric heating costs a fortune to run - it's by far the most expensive option.
Only advised if there is no other option.

Sponsored Links
Oil may be a dearer initial outlay but will out last any gas boiler by a long way, you also won't be tied to any one supplier so can shop around for the best deal every time.

LPG is very dear to run central heating and with a tank rental tied to a gas supplier you are in their hands with price. Not a good position to be in

Electric boilers have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years but are still quite expensive to run, although, with not having much knowledge of these boilers I cannot really give a valid opinion. However, I would be interested to know how costly these are to run hooked up to PV Panels (or even if this could be done?)

Best advice would be to stick with oil, it is by far the most long term cost effective solution at the moment. And is the only fuel to come down in price, and is now on a par with natural gas. Yes, there is a possibility of price rises but with an over supply of oil due to USA fracking etc, it's certainly the safest bet and the one I would put my own money on.

Incidentally, your house smelling of oil does not mean your boiler is done for, it just means there is a leak, which could be down to a weeping joint, a cracked flexible oil line, or at worst a fuel pump. Not major problems, get someone to service it and give an honest appraisal of its condition. These things will last years if looked after properly.

If you've already got oil CH then I'd stick with it as it will be the cheapest in the long run. Bulk LPG is about 30% more expensive than oil per kw and cylinders 50% more. Electric is double the price of oil per kw. You could try a heat pump but that would require a lot of work and may not end up any cheaper to run than an oil boiler.

Another thing is as long as they are regularly serviced oil boilers are amazingly resilient. Get someone in to give your boiler a service and they'll give an assessment of the life left in it. They will also be able to deal with the oil leak that is causing the smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back