what form of heating? (have oil)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first post so hello,
age old debate and poss strong feelings either way but...

...moving into a house that is on oil, no gas. house has the orginal boiler and tank and a hot air system that ALL needs replacing.

therefore i can consider any form of replacement.

to replace all the oil system is quite expensive as well as ASHP or other renewable.

so i'm torn between spending A LOT of money to replace and instal new oil system or LPG or Electric boiler with either electric radiators or storage heaters but every one has its pros and cons so some direction and other thoughts would be good.

Sponsored Links
what sort of house? how well insulated? Are people at home or out during the day? predictable or unpredictable heating requirement?

1968 end terrace but well insulated and cavity wall. I work shifts so there are people home in day but not loads, if I'm off I don't tend to spend the day indoors! I would say predictable but irregular heating use. As in I know when I'll be there but as I say shifts.

I off course didn't include infra red heating which I had never heard of but is I assume a consideration. ..

Sponsored Links
Thanks newboy.
Lpg is so much cheaper to install than oil buy might be dearer to run, and I do like cooking on gas. Toss a coin!

Unless you can site a Bulk LPG tank, you will be needing 47Kg Cylinders which work out very expensive - currently oil is 40 - 45 pence/litre which is pretty cheap and compares even to mains gas so I'ds stick in a new oil system TBH! ;)

Only consider oil if you intend to have a 'regular' heat only boiler. All oil combi and system boilers are not fit for purpose.

Yes I am getting survey tomorrow to see if I can get an lpg tank. If not its out.
I don't think the water pressure is up to a combi boiler.

Look into the possibility of a "Community" Oil Purchasing organisation in your area.

You would make significant savings on the Bulk Purchase of Heating Oil, compared to making individual purchases yourself

Yes I am getting survey tomorrow to see if I can get an lpg tank. If not its out.
I don't think the water pressure is up to a combi boiler.

Youll need planning for the LPG concrete slab, also LPG Tanks are hired out at approx. £20.00 per quarter, all hidden costs

I'll give the council a call then!
Although i assume that will be the same for oil.
rent is £52 a year from the people coming round.

Why does no one like electricity, is it just cost or is it ineffective heating?

You seem to be completely anti oil.......any particular reason?
It's clean enough, competitive (certainly just now and never reaches propane expense) and reliable.
I'd avoid electric unless my property had a very high insulation value, and was on the small size, and
I'd avoid propane cylinders like the plague ......£62 per cylinder and that's cheap at the mo.
John :)

Burnerman - not anti oil, its just if i'm replacing the whole system i can put whatever i like (budget allowing) in so want to put the right thing in.

i think all have pros and cons.

oil seems to be the dearest to install and the price fluctuates a lot and will only get dearer but then so will non mains gas.

the property is only a 3 bed end terrace and fairly well insulated

if all 3 were a similar price to install oil would win hands down but as i say due to what needs replacing i might as well put the most appropriate i can afford in.

How far are you away from mains gas? There are some grants available for gas infill schemes.

If you can re-use the existing oil tank that removes the expense of a new tank whether oil or gas. Bulk gas tanks can also be buried under a lawn but not a hardstanding area.

A small gas cylinder for a gas hob is perfectly sensible if you want to cook on gas - a gas hob uses hardly anything compared to heating and hot water. (And it's handy to have in a power cut if you're rural.)

Electricity is usually either storage heaters, or a thermal store and wet radiators (although you can get an electricaire system which uses off-peak electricity to heat a core and distributes that with warm air ducts).

Do you have a roof suitable for solar hot water panels?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back