What fuse for new electric induction cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen is nearly ready to receive full complement of new unit and new electric cooker (Stoves 600EI): double electric oven and induction hob. The shop we're buying this from are recommending a 40amp fuse.
I asked today our electrician who just rewired the kitchen including big fat cooker supply and he assured me the 32amp fuse in place is more than enough.
Is that right?
And if I'm wrong, what are the consequences? (nothing life-threatening hopefully)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
He is correct but one of the regulations states that the Manufacturer's instructions shall be followed.

What do the MIs state for the cable size and is that what has been installed?

I know a semi-conductor fuse will blow faster than a MCB can trip but I have not seen any requirements for a fuse rather than MCB to be fitted. And it would need to be a semi-conductor fuse not a standard one.

As to current 32A = 7.36kW which normally is enough for an induction hob as although it may have 4 heat areas with average of 3kW on each with boost setting normally you can only use one of a pair on boost at any time so it's not simply add all together.

Clearly industrial hobs may use more than 32A but as far as I have seen to date domestic hobs normally quote 32A as supply requirements even when the whole (stand alone cooker) unit has a 70A draw if everything was turned on together.

So question is where did the shop get its information from when quoting 40A. If the manufacturer says 40A then I would have thought it would be a very slow mover as far as sales go as very few could use them. If however the shop has looked at the watts and divided by 230 then this is likely not manufacturers recommendations.

So what will happen if too small.
1) The fuse may blow or MCB trip.
2) With no supply the cooling fans will not work.

There is a very slim chance the manufacturer has designed the hob so should the cooling fans stop it will be damaged so in the main there will be no problem. With a built in oven, where the manufacturer of the oven has no control over the materials used in the oven carcase, then yes there could be well a problem should cooling fans fail when cooking Christmas Turkey, but unlikely to be any real problem with a hob other than having to renew the fuse or reset the MCB.

I would consider designing something which will cause danger should supply be lost is not really very clever and I can't see good manufacturers not allowing for a power failure.

[/wiki]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back