What goes on brickwork before plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a quote today from a builder, and i'd ripped the tiles off the bathroom already and a bit of the plaster. On top of the brickwork (under the plaster), there was some material that he said needed removing - whether I did it, or he did it. He said it absorbs moisture, and is contributing to my bathroom condensation.

He said it's a lazy way of plastering instead of using sand and cement. I posted in the building forum, and was told it was either bonding, browning or hardcore.

I think it was bonding.

Sand and cement... he meant concrete right?

Anyway... can this add to condensation problems? Why would someone use bonding instead? Is it ready mixed and easier to use than concrete?

What options do you have to put onto brickwork before you plaster them?

Sponsored Links
It is a sand and cement render not concrete, a concrete mix has greater sized aggregates in the mix design and water quantity would be greater also.
Do you have condensation issues in this room? are you tiling the wall again?

I see.

Well I haven't seen the condensation myself as I only just bought it. But I'm told so, and there is a musty smell and black mold at that end of the flat.

I'll be tiling it floor to ceiling.

It's a solid brick wall Edwardian, so I was reading about insulation too and if i should put insulated plasterboard on the outside wall. Plasteboarding sounds easier to do for a novice.

Bear in mind, I really don't have much of a clue and am only learning about this stuff this week.

Sponsored Links
It's a solid brick wall Edwardian, so I was reading about insulation too and if i should put insulated plasterboard on the outside wall. Plasteboarding sounds easier to do for a novice.
I can't think of anywhere in a house where insulation would be needed more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back