What handles can I add to this work bench to restore functionality?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recieved this old Black and Decker workbench from a neighbour and it's a little worse for wear but still functions. I rivetted on some mending plates to gain leverage on the stubs which were all that was left of the handles. I don't know what mending plates are meant to be used for nor why I had any but they seem to just about do the job. I'd really like something to attach to the mending plate but I don't know what these kinds of handles are called so I don't know what to search for. Thanks for help.

n8Be77U.png

Sponsored Links
you are meant to have crank handles. Somewhat like manual car window winder handles. You could fix some small doorknobs through the holes or you mending plates. There are small ones sold for cupboards, where they are fixed with a screw from the inside of the door. Judicious use of washers and locknuts might prevent the knobs from unscrewing.

s-l225.jpg

I am quite clumsy and I am sure the ends of the plates would soon be garnished with scraps of clothes and skin. Have you got a grinder or a dremel to round them off?

Spare plastic parts for workmates are often available. I don't know the age of yours, but they have got flimsier and more cheaply made over time. My first one had a cast alloy panel in the middle.

edit
like this but an entire set looks expensive
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=workmate+spare&_sop=15

edit again
here they are!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...e+handles.TRS0&_nkw=workmate+handles&_sacat=0

s-l225.jpg

check if they fit your model

maybe the old ones broke from lack of lube on the threaded bar

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back