What work can I (legally) do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I work for myself offering IT support. I often do CAT5/6 cabling and if additional electrics are needed I advise that the customer needs an electrician to do the work.
I was on a job last week and whilst under a desk plugging in my laptop, I noticed the socket spark, I took the front of the socket off and the live was loose. Now I could have fixed this in no time, but instead I put the cover back on and advised them that they had a dodgy socket and needed to sort it ASAP and in the meantime I advised them to pull the breaker - they wouldnt do this as it meant all the pc's in the office would go off.
Now this incedent made me think, what can I cand cant I do when onsite. I have no qualifications in this field, but my ability to actually do the work is ok, I know how house wiring works, am able to add sockets,lights etc, fit a shower (paid a sparky to fit a new consumer unit) but obviously what I do at home and what I do on site arnt the same.
Would I have been allowed to repair the above fault? all it would have involved was oushing a wire and tightening a screw! What if I need a longer power cable, can I put a plug on one end, an IEC (kettle lead) on the other of a cable to make a longer cable? can I change a fuse even?
I looked through my insurance policy but didnt really mention much, the only restriction I have is the use of heat (not sure if this refers to soldering or use of a heat gun or is aimed at blowtorches,oxy kit etc I'll check this on Monday)
Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing that requires tools for electrical work on commercial premises.

Well you can do anything, but then again being held accountable for loss of life or fire wouldn't be sensible.

If you have plug and play infrasture such as electrak or floating floor boxes via copex tails then your not actually tooling work, so that would be okay.

Buying pre made long kettle leads would be okay as again it's a plug in system. go with the thought that if it doesn't need tools then it's okay.

Always consider that any further works could result in you becoming liable for any failings. PC's getting spikes, servers falling over and serious loss of business revenues, health and safety issues, null and voiding PAT and existing site safety checks.

The UK is a safety wrapped bubble and the laws are there for a reason. As a domestic installer, having had 20+ years on comms works in commercial premises I would never touch a commercial electric system.

Not because of lack of skill, but lack of liability cover and the potential for blame to rest at my door should something silly happen

I've got a couple of IEC extension leads you have have for the price of postage ;) :LOL:

Thanks,

So I was right not to fix the socket, or even take the plate off ;)
Leave well alone sounds like a good plan to me. If I need to fabricate an extra long cable, or any other mains cable for that matter, what do I need to do in order for me to "install" that cable on site (residential or commercial) If I got it pat tested would that suffice?

Crafty, I have them, but if they are of no use and just sitting there "just in case they ever come in useful..) then I'll happily take them off your hands, no clue what postage would be though, pop me an email if you like and we'll sort summat out.

Sponsored Links
I would think a PAT test would be sufficient.

It is then the responsibility of the person who has carried ot the PAT test, and said the lead is safe for use.

eggplant said:
So I was right not to fix the socket, or even take the plate off ;)
you could always just do it and never tell anyone you'd done it.

but in general the others are right, you don't want to be doing commercial electrical work without appropriate qualifications and public liability cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back