what happened here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was skimming a small room, the centre light cable was just poked back through the hole made in the ceiling,there was no connectors just the bare ends,when they were pushed back the switch live and neutral were touching,although no current was there as the pull cord switch was removed,and the live and switch wire were taped up separately.

when i skimmed the ceiling first the plaster forced its way into the ceiling hole(normal) when i began the walls i noticed a tingle when i touched the wet plaster,got a mulitmeter out went back into the room and just the probes being in the room gave me 64volts,same slightly more when i put to wet plaster.
obviously tripped the lighting circuit and all well, hooked the cable back down ,separated the cables and choc boxed..

why did this happen when there was no current to the lamp cables ?

Sponsored Links
Probably because the neutral wasn't isolated.

Sponsored Links
Its possible that the resistance of wet plaster only allowed 64V of the full potential to flow to earth ;)

This sounds like our old friend the hidden capacitor again. Somewhere up there it is leaking current from a live wire into that supposedly dead one.

,although no current was there as the pull cord switch was removed,and the live and switch wire were taped up separately.

There was current but it was small, far to small to pop a fuse. With the two ends touching it returned through the neutral wire so there was no voltage. My guess is that when you pushed the plaster into the hole you separated the ends. With no load on it the 'dead' wire could float up to a high enough voltage to give you a tingle.

jacko57 said:
got a mulitmeter out went back into the room and just the probes being in the room gave me 64volts,same slightly more when i put to wet plaster.

Hmm, sounds a little suspect to me. There's no way you'll get 64 volts induced into the test leads just standing in the middle of the room. Is it an autoranging meter? Are you sure you weren't reading millivolts?

If it is a single T+E from the ceiling:

I put money on the switch switching the neutral, not the live.

The 64v due to the fact he didn't put a probe on a true earth.

He got a tingle from the trowel - thats not capacitive in my opinion.

Sounds like a typical renovation where the lectrics are left as they are and never given a thought to!

Lectrician wrote

I put money on the switch switching the neutral, not the live.

I discounted this idea initially because of this:

-- there was no connectors just the bare ends,when they were pushed back --

Could you really push a bare live wire end up through a ceiling and notice nothing? Maybe, if you were wearing rubber soles at the time.

On the other hand I agree that it would take a lot of capacitive leakage to produce a tingle, more than you would expect across a switch cable with an earth wire in the middle.

This brings us to option three. I remember a post from someone who got tingles from metal light switches. Upon further investigation it was found that all the earth wires in all the lighting cables were floating free because the connection at the CU was broken. That was a lot of capacitance. There's no mention in jacko57's post of an earth wire up in the ceiling but it's probably there, touching wet plaster - and it might just be the source of the tingle. It's definitely worth checking out.

cheers for the replys guys.
yes 1mm T/E at the lamp
all the cable ends were bared back
it was enough of a tingle to pull the float away.
went to the job today and checked junction box supplying and all seems ok.
no problem now all dried out.

Ohh - Not sure about that

I agree. It may be 'no problem' right now but something isn't right and it's just waiting to catch somebody out in the future. And that somebody, jacko57, might be you! If I were you I'd get my Sherlock Holmes hat on and get to the bottom of this mystery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back