What happens if you don't tile a shower wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. After some advise.
I swapped some standard taps for a mixer tap with shower on it and fixed to wall above the bath. I haven' tiled the walls as it is only a 2nd shower but 6 months later and I've noticed damp underneath the bath in the room below.

Suppose the question is, is it water that' leaking through some were through the bath or is there a chance that the water is seeping through the wall and down it?
I painted the wall with a bathroom water proof paint.

Sponsored Links
common sense might ??? suggest that u need to tile the wall ?? or use some other type of paneling suitable for shower enclosure's

:idea:

We only did it as a rinsing shower for over the bath to rinse off our young kids if someone else is in the other shower.
Was never meant to be a full shower.
I'm just trying to find out wether it could be the moisture going through the plasterboards? If that' possible or is it more than likely a leak were the taps are

Sponsored Links
Well - you're there. How can we know?

We only did it as a rinsing shower for over the bath to rinse off our young kids if someone else is in the other shower.
Was never meant to be a full shower.
Do you use the same kind of water as a full shower?

I'm just trying to find out wether it could be the moisture going through the plasterboards?
Plasterboard is plaster covered in blotting paper.

If that' possible or is it more than likely a leak were the taps are
Either or both.

Well, if you stop using the shower and the damp recedes, that may provide you with a clue :)

I think what everyone's trying to say is, no the wall won't be suitable for splashing water from a shower. You'll need to tile or some other protection. Even one of those round shower curtain rails would be better than nothing.

As above but its also possible the water from the shower head is leaking down through the tap holes of the bath.

Take off the bath panel - run the shower - look under the bath(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back